Notify
Tools

300 win mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey wt

Generally speaking (which sometimes proves to be dead wrong) I use the faster powders to push the smaller for caliber bullets, i.e. IMR4350 for 165 gr bullets, and the slower powders to push the larger for caliber bullets, i.e. H4831 for 180 gr bullets.

The marks on your bullets are an almost positive indication that you are seating your bullets into the lands, which is not as much a concern as long as you are on the lower end of the pressure scale. You really need a Stoney Point Bullet Comparator (this ought to wake Hot Core up! moon) to get a good measurement for seating depth.

BTW, I could get by with just 2 powders - IMR4831 and RL22.

JMHO

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wtman, you poor bastard.....MY WIFE actually GAVE me my basic reloading outfit. Of course, like Topsy, it "just growed".

What a gal: encourages my reloading addiction, kills her own elk and let's me watch "The Man Show". (What the hell is she up to?) Big Grin

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gustavo,
I have a Remington 700 BDL 300 win mag. when i trim my cases i was taking them down to 2.610. I now started taking them down to 2.608 and they have stopped making the marks on the very lead tip and no more issues with the bolt being hard to close, btw, i do full length resize. Like i said, they were barely even marks but i could tell they were hitting. Now, with that being said, how do you know where the lands begin, is it by knowing that max O.A.L. is 3.340 or is there some sort of way of measureing this or is it just known and how do you know? How short is too short when seating the bullet? I have alot to learn i guess but i want to know these things before i go out and waste another 20-30 rounds for nothing with bad results. Which is part of the fun though i guess Wink

I also have a remington 30/06 BDL and want to play with it some, but will be another thread and fun to play with! Oh well, it's like everything else in my life i've done, i get so caught up in this stuff i am actually starting to dream of doing this in my sleep lol. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions and help, You have proven to be very knowlegable and helpful to me.

Posts: 117 | Location: colorado springs, co. | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how do you post your pictures of targets on here. I have some i want you guys to look at from yesterday's shooting.

Posts: 117 | Location: colorado springs, co. | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wtman- Reloader22 is THE powder for the .300winny and 180gr. bullets. Mine dotes highly on 75gr. If you are having bullet seating depth problems with the 180gr. partition, remember Nosler makes 2 different 30cal 180 partitions. The regular and the protected point. The P.P. was specifically made for the 300 Win-Mag. I seat mine out as far as the magazine will allow(Model 70)--Hope this helps--MIke

Posts: 52 | Location: Pierce County Washington | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtman:
Gustavo,
I have a Remington 700 BDL 300 win mag. when i trim my cases i was taking them down to 2.610. I now started taking them down to 2.608 and they have stopped making the marks on the very lead tip and no more issues with the bolt being hard to close, btw, i do full length resize. Like i said, they were barely even marks but i could tell they were hitting. Now, with that being said, how do you know where the lands begin, is it by knowing that max O.A.L. is 3.340 or is there some sort of way of measureing this or is it just known and how do you know? How short is too short when seating the bullet? I have alot to learn i guess but i want to know these things before i go out and waste another 20-30 rounds for nothing with bad results. Which is part of the fun though i guess Wink

I also have a remington 30/06 BDL and want to play with it some, but will be another thread and fun to play with! Oh well, it's like everything else in my life i've done, i get so caught up in this stuff i am actually starting to dream of doing this in my sleep lol. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions and help, You have proven to be very knowlegable and helpful to me.

Wtman,

This forum is for helping others among some nice and heated up discussions! My pleasure if I can give you a hand.

Your trim length is OK. The only possible reason for your reloads touching the lands is a short throat or a sizing die not stretching down the case enough.

Otherwise, all the dimensional specs you mentioned are perfectly OK.

I'd suggest again the RCBS Precision Mic tool to check the MAX OAL for your chamber. It's a very useful tool.

On the other hand, you can use a very old method...just seat the bullet off enough, smoke them and try to chamber until they stop. When extracted the mark will be very obvious. Of course, not an exact method but good enough.

But in general terms, the resistance to close the bolt, could be summarized to not enough resizing (full), long OAL or a short throat...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted Hide Post
Wtman,
I hope you have a lot of success with your new baby. I too have a 300 win mag, and I love mine.
If you want to find an accurate yet cheap way to find the overall length of your chamber, I will explain. You can try it if you want, if not no problem.

You will need:
1 of each bullet you plan to shoot.
1 pencil
Set of calipers
A razor blade
A sharpie or magic marker
And one wooden dowel that is long enough toreach down you barrel and still stick out a couple of inches ( about .25 inch diameter)
First, take the bolt out of your gun, and slide one of the bullets into your chamber. Next, Take the pencil and push it lightly into the lands, not hard enough to lodge it in the gun or tear the bullet up. Just light enough to keep the bullet in contact with the lands.
Next, run the dowel down the barrel and let it set on the point of the bullet. Take the razor blade and hold it flat against the muzzle of the gun. And make a cut in the wood.
Pull the pencil and the bullet out of the gun, and put the bolt back in the gun.
Next, repeat the process while letting the dowel rest on the face of the bolt, make sure that the ejector is down, to avoid error.
Make a mark the same way as before on the dowel.
Next, if you take your calipers and measure the distance between the two cuts, you will have a overall length of your case and bullet for that specific bullet. It will be different for each bullet, being that the ogive is different for each brand.

I would suggest taking .010 off of the Oal at least, to keep the bullet out of the lands.
Finally seat a dummy round, one with no powder, to the desired length that you found minus the distance you want for "jump" to the lands, and after seating color the ogive and end of the bullet with the marker and chamber it. If you see distincive rifling marks on the end you are still to long.
Hope this helps,
Good Luck.
Croberts

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Croberts,
Now that is what i was looking for. cheers I couldnt for the life of me and reading my tail end off in here figure out how anyone knows how deep there chamber was and how they figure out how deep to set the bullet.

Now, if anyone can help me with one more thing. After you prime and powder charge the bullet, you put it in the press to seat it. Do you set the seater plug according to what we figure out is our distance to lands, or by oal? Am i making any since here? I guess i am just too "bill-hilly" to grasp this part of it Frowner

One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted Hide Post
Wtman,
Distance to the lands is the distance which is miniscule that the bullet needs to travel to reach the lands when in flight. OAl is the over all length from the end of the case to the tip of the bullet. The OAl needs to be .010 to .050 off(distance from the lands).
I hope that helps, let me know if I can can help with, or if I didn't explian that really well.
Croberts

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote