Find
Notify
Tools

Necking up 243 brass to 7mm-08?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
Is there any problem that I don't see in necking up some 243 brass to use in my newly acquired 7mm-08?

Thanks

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
Most people neck down from .308 so the neck is thicker. Necking up is possible, but the neck will be thinner and may have shorter life.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Well, I can try it both ways. I just had some 243 brass, and no 243 rifle to shoot it in. If the brass lasts two or three reloads, I'll consider that good. I was a little worried about necked down 308 having too thick neck.

Best thing obviously is to buy some 7mm-08 brass, which I'll do. I just want to get shooting. Smiler

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesI would be surprised if necking down .308 brass to 7-08 would cause you any thick wall neck problems. It is possible but unlikely.Jmho fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i wound up with a couple hundred pieces of speer/RWS 243 brass (which is very consistent) - one pass through my 708 dies, it is VERY nice for my 708 .

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should have no probs at all. To make sure, I honed a little extra bevel in the nose of my resizing ball but that was it. Didn't lose a case and I was able to load full house loads from the start with the resized brass. And I didn't find it any more tender than the resized .308 stuff.
In a factory rifle, you shouldn't have a neck problem when you neck down .308 brass. I had a custom 7-08 that when I necked down .308 brass, I had to neck turn; when I resized .243 brass, I didn't.
One thing,if you own a .243, I don't know if you'd want to have 7-08 ammo around with a .243 head stamp. I don't know if it would fit or not. 'Course once you find out how superior the 7-08 is over the .243, you'll be selling off or rebarreling your .243s. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
SHould work fine. I routinely neck up 243 for my 260ai. Necking down match 308 is also possible, but in my 260ai, the necks were far too thick.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
i wound up with a couple hundred pieces of speer/RWS 243 brass (which is very consistent) - one pass through my 708 dies, it is VERY nice for my 708 .

Do you remember how thick the necks were after necking up?

TIA,
Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KB...

I neck down 308 brass to 260 all the time.. never a problem chambering..

so going to 7/08 should not present a problem..

I occasionally neck up 243 Nickle brass to the 260 also... and never any problems.. and get a lot more than 3 shots out of it..

annealing it every 4th time, and it will last just as long as any 260 brass.

for what it is worth, I picked up some used Lapua brass for free that the previous owner said had been reloaded in excess of 30 times..

I've reloaded it 10 more times.. in a 7/08 target rifle...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done it both ways. As a rule of thumb, I would rather neck up rather than down because of the potential for neck issues.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal 308 brass has to thick a neck for my 7-08. Remington, Winchester and LC work fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KB

I've done both .243 up and .308 down. For .243 brass I run it over a 6.5mm expander ball before completing the neck up with the 7-08 die. I've only fired these cases a couple of times, so can't comment on potential longevity.

I have run into problems with .308 brass necked down. My unmodified A-Bolt seems to have min spec neck dimensions - the necks of fired cases measure less than 0.316" (0.315" is max neck diameter according to Hornady). Norma Match and the old W-W SUPER brass necked down work fine, with neck dimensions when loaded about the same as factory ammo. R-P, S&W, and WINCHESTER brass were just under .315" in neck diameter when loaded, and were snug when chambered. The bolt would not close on loads in resized F C, SAKO, or 7.62 NATO brass. Since I subsequently acquired a .308, I chose not to turn necks of the R-P, etc. brass, and just necked them back up to .308.

Cheers, Al

Posts: 118 | Location: New Brunswick | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I don't see any problem in necking up .243 to 7mm. Lubing the inside of the case mouth makes operations go smoother. Some expander balls on my older RCBS dies have a steep angle and are not good for that much expanding.

I made a long taper expanding plug for expanding 7mm and .30 RUM brass up to .375 RUM. It expands them easily, and I've never damaged a case.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:

TIA,
Don

Sorry Don, I don't recall, if i measured them at all .. delivered great accuracy in my wife's 708 mexican mauser and in my 708 striker pistol

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:

TIA,
Don

Sorry Don, I don't recall, if i measured them at all .. delivered great accuracy in my wife's 708 mexican mauser and in my 708 striker pistol

Jeff,

Thanks for taking a look. tu2

Don