New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Powder, Faster or Slower?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need to work up some loads for a friend's Browning BAR 30-06. I am going to load 165gr Nosler Partitions. What powder do you think will work best for the BAR, on the fast end, slow end or in the middle?

Powders I have on hand that will work are:
Ramshot Hunter
Ramshot BigGame
DP 86
DP 85
H4895
AA 4350
AA 4064
AA 3100
R-22
R-19
IMR 3031
N-560

If you think I should pick up something different, no problem.

Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
To be short with the answer . . .

My 165s have IMR4350 under them.

AA's 4350 likely to be the VERY SAME.

Also likely one or more of the other slower powders in your list is going to perform just as well.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4350. I don't know if the AA brand is slightly faster or slower but that's what I'd start with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4350 or H4350

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DP 85

Isn't this pretty much H-414? That would be my choice for an 30-06

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When reloading for an autoloader it is good practice to use a powder in the middle of the range of powders generally shown in a reloading manual(s), and use a middle weight bullet. The 165gr is a good choice for weight.

For the 30-06, I'd use nothing slower than 4350 and nothing faster than 4895 or BLC2. I am unfamiliar with the Ramshot powders and DP86 and 85, but H4895, IMR and presumably AA4064 and IMR4350 would be OK, although IMR4350 is the limit.

AA 4350 has been a bit slower than IMR 4350 and about equal to IMR4350 according to lot variations. When it is slower, it is about like IMR4831 which is too slow and very similar to AA3100, also too slow.

Therefore, of the powders you've listed, I'd limit myself to H4895 and AA 4064. I'd work up from a load NLT 7% below max and use a chronograph to judge my loads and progress. In the absence of pressure signs, I'd stay a least 50-100fps below the max charge for these powders loading for the BAR.

You will need to full length re-size the cases and trim them. Don't load up a bunch of rounds without testing them for chambering. Initial test should be with dummy rounds. Sometimes an autoloader will require a small base resizing die.

Make certain that the primers are seated below the case head. When you chamber test the loaded rounds as suggested above, you might want to ease the bolt forward gently in case the round "sticks" for two reasons. First, its easier to un-stick it. Second, it can slam fire before being fully chambered, which can hurt the rifle and you. Try to obtain some CCI #34 primers of the type used for reloading military autoloaders if you can. Graf has them on sale for $59 +$20 hazzardous fee for 5000primers. These are a little harder purposely to help prevent slam fires.

I'd crimp them using a Lee crimping die or de-cap them using a universal decapper, and pull the stem on my reloading die to provide a lot of neck tension to prevent setback of the bullet when chambering. If the bullet sets back using the neck tension method when autoloaded in firing, extract the chambered round and check it, then you must crimp.

This maybe more info than you bargained for, but reloading for a friend's autoloader is something that you don't want to mess up is you value you personal safety and the friendship.
Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is good reference material out there on this, most of it for service rifles. I used varget and 4064 for my BAR in .308. Very accurate and never had a jam. If you use a powder that burns too slow, this will cause excessive port pressure and be hard on your bolt system parts; a powder too fast will cause low port pressure and may not cyle your rounds reliably.

Posts: 247 | Location: Oz | Registered: 19 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4064 loads are shown in some reload books good for an MV of 2800 fps with a 165 grain bullet... which isn't bad...

I myself, like 4064 quite a bit.. IMR 4350 is still fine, but you use less powder with 4064.. I use 4350 when the bullet weights hit 180 grains or better...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I'll start out with some H4895, AA 4064, BigGame and go from there.

Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve

I'd sure try H414 as well, since it works good in almost anything.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From my experience with a BAR, I agree wholeheartedly with Kudude.

Just as 4350 would normally be my first choice with the 165/3006 load, I tried H4831 with my 130/.270 BAR. It exhibited signs of excessive port pressure that it did not exhibit with factory loads.

So, give up 25 or 50 fps of maximum velocity potential and drop back to the 4895 or 4064 for your BAR and you (and the gun) will be happier.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't use slow powders in an auto loader! That is if you like your gun.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote