New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady sst cut apart
 Login/Join

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Well call it boredom or whatever but I used a dremel tool and cut a 180 sst (30cal) apart just now. Someone had posted that a Hornady technician said the jackets are 25% thicker than regular hornady's. I compared it to a 180 boattail interlock. I could not see any difference in thickness of the jacket. I can't say for sure but they felt different when cutting them apart--almost like the jacket of the sst was harder. Both bullets got real hot when doing this and the lead separated from the nose of the sst after cooling. On the regular interlock the lead did not try and separate. Also the tip got hot and melted out of the sst and I was surprised at how thick the jacket is at the hollowpoint--it's quite thick like what you see in a barnes hollow point. Don't know if any of this means anything or not. I just had to know if they were making a thicker jacket on the sst. Maybe it is nothing more than a interlock with a plastic tip--maybe there is more to the story. Just thought I'd share this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, I was the one who posted that the Hornady tech told me the SST jacket was 25% heavier. Maybe the thick jacket at the hollowpoint is what they are talking about, I don't really know. I tried the 150 SST's in my rifle (.308 mod 70) this year and couldn't get them to shoot very good. I was hoping for better accuracy than the interlocks which I always use, but couldn't acheive it. The Interlocks are more accurate in my rifle so didn't see any reason to change when the performance of the interlocks has been so reliable. I plan on trying the SST's in 165 gr next. Maybe they will do better than the 150's in my rifle. The SST's just look like they should shoot good. They look similar to the AMax & VMax. Both of these bullets shoot good in all my rifles.

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Thanks ol blue!! Now I kinda got the urge to start after some other bullets!! Would like to see how thick the jacket is on the ballistic tip bullet, swift scirrocco etc. I played a little more since my post and from what I can tell both jackets are .035" just ahead of the canelure.
Those little cutting disks on the dremel arent perfect for this work--maybe if a guy had a mini chop saw it would work good. Maybe the thickness doesn't matter and there is a hardness factor or something to do with the type of lead in the bullet. Maybe too the 150 has a heavier jacket than the regular interlock?? Guess I'm not persuing further for now.