Notify
Tools

Grey B Powder help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Howdy guys!
I'm showcasing my advanced age:

My bro got some grey B shotgun powder from a friend and I know I've used a ton of it several decades ago but that was before I kept records of my loads.

Any 12 gauge load data or a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Hopefully there are other old timers out there or internet search gurus who can point us in the right direction.

Thanks,
Zeke

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Hello Zeke -

I have a copy of "Hodgdon's Reloading Manual No. 20" which doesn't show a publication date, but it does have a number of 12 gauge loads for 2-3/4" shells and either 1 oz or 1-1/8 oz (nothing heavier) of shot using Grey B. Nearly all of the listed loads use built-up wad columns instead of plastic shot cups. I'd be happy to send you pictures of the pages if that would help.

The inside cover of the manual has this to say:

"And now - the only powder developed exclusively for the new plastic cases and plastic wad columns. Grey B will allow you to duplicate factory, red plastic shells ..."

Evidently Grey B was not on the market very long and the powder you have must be 50 years old or more - keep that in mind!

Posts: 969 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the powder pre-dates plastic shot cups by just enough years, there'd be almost no data for it.

but if your adventurous enough you could use that stacked card/cork data and cut it back 2 or so grains to start from with a plastic wad.

Posts: 4985 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bpesteve:
Hello Zeke -

I have a copy of "Hodgdon's Reloading Manual No. 20" which doesn't show a publication date, but it does have a number of 12 gauge loads for 2-3/4" shells and either 1 oz or 1-1/8 oz (nothing heavier) of shot using Grey B. Nearly all of the listed loads use built-up wad columns instead of plastic shot cups. I'd be happy to send you pictures of the pages if that would help.

The inside cover of the manual has this to say:

"And now - the only powder developed exclusively for the new plastic cases and plastic wad columns. Grey B will allow you to duplicate factory, red plastic shells ..."

Evidently Grey B was not on the market very long and the powder you have must be 50 years old or more - keep that in mind!

I'd love a pic or something! I sent you a PM with my contact info.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
the powder pre-dates plastic shot cups by just enough years, there'd be almost no data for it.

but if your adventurous enough you could use that stacked card/cork data and cut it back 2 or so grains to start from with a plastic wad.

Thanks Lamar,
Thanks!
I'm sure that we can "work up" and get a nice light skeet load with modern wads and hulls.... if we follow your advice and proceed with caution.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the data Mr. Bpesteve.
That’s exactly what was needed.

Zeke