Find
Notify
Tools

Best 357 Mag Components/Dies?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
I just picked up a new SW M327 TRR8 and so far, I can do 2" groups at 25 yds with old Federal Ni cases loaded with LEE dies. I know Lee dies work fine but are kinda cheap, but what are the best dies available for the 357 Mag, brass, bullets, etc...I pretty much want to go with Starline, but have no experience with them. Also, what bullets do you have the best accuracy with? Hunting, Target, and SD. Thanks for any input.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure there are "best" of anything. What works for you is best. Me, on a Dillon, I like Dillon dies. Single stage, I like Redding then RCBS. Bullets, Hornady XTPs in any weight seem to shade others for accuracy, good hunting bullet too. For SD, they are ok, tend to over penetrate w/ less expansion than say Speer GD or Remingtons. For target work, a good hard cast lead bullet @ 900fps is all you need, properly sized to fit your chambers of course.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
You're the man, Fred. Thanks for the advice.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For sizing and bullet seating, I don't think any brand makes a noticable difference. The Lee expanders work very well for jacketed bullets, without excessivly expanding the case mouth.

No other die maker has the experience or company investment in cast bullets. For expanding/belling to use cast or swaged lead bullets, nothing beats the Lyman "M" die design. But, for convience, using it is best done with a sizer that also decaps. Or use a universal decapping die.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mean no company other than LYMAN ...

(This board needs an "edit" function or I need to type better.)

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Redding carbide dies, Hornady XTPs, and Winchester brass and couldn't be happier

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS handloading equipment, Winchester or Starline brass, and my own cast...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS carbide 3 die set. However, rather than setting the seater die to crimp, I perform this step sepatately with a Redding roll crimp die. Much more consistent crimp IMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have used both Lee and RCBS dies for 38/357...both work fine although I prefer to use a Lee factory crimp die as the last step. Bought Starline brass in .38, .357, .44 Special, .44 Mag, and .45 ACP...no complaints. As far as bullet accuracy, your gun(s) and loads will determine that. What works in mine may not work in yours. Find the right load and even relatively cheapo bullets bought in bulk may work fine for everything but the most serious competitive target work...which I suspect most of us don't do.

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" - Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
i've always liked winchester brass don't know why.... i do use lee carbide speed dies to reload some great ammo in ..357magnum and .38 spl.. iuse bullets i cast myself too.... oh i use winchester small pistol primers too.....

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
I slapped a red dot sight in my S&W just for accuracy purposes and found my plinking loads (mixed Fed, Rem, and Win brass) and the cheap Win 110 gr bulk bullets will group an inch at 25 yds, while my carefully crafted 125 gr Speer Gold Dot loads (W-W brass)are all over the place 2-3" (with the 3 loads of Unique that I've tried so far). I like the fact that the cheapy components group well...THAT usually doesn't happen!

Charles Bronson

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I got Carbide sizing dies for the pistol cartridges I use the most ( .38/.357, .45 acp, and .44 mag). Much faster and cleaner reloading -- no need to lube the cases before you size them or to wipe the lube off after sizing.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote