New
Find
Notify
Tools

Base die set??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I remember seeing a post here about loading for semi auto's. Like my BAR11 in .270. It mentioned that a base die set was the way to go to avoid getting jamming/feeding probs.

I cant find that post now (havent got my head round this newish format).

Any clues/brands etc.?

I will add that I have been using a F.L.S die and it works most of the time. Problem is every so often I get one case I just cant resize to chamber, bolt gets stuck.

Posts: 53 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Burke
posted Hide Post
small based die set.I use RCBS.

Posts: 111 | Location: Western Ky | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS makes what is called a Small-Base Die Set.
As mentioned, they are designed for use with cases fired in semi-automatic rifles, or those with extremely tight chambers.
Unlike Full-Length Sizing Dies, Small-Base Dies size the casing all the way down to the base and actually shave off brass from the casing.
After sizing, you will see a small curl of brass that has been taken off your case.
This is not the best practice for your cases and over the course of a few firings and resizings, you could actually run into some danger issues.
However, if you do need these dies, I should have them in stock.

www.cliffsgunsmithing.com

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
no need to use them in any auto I've ever shot

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I remember seeing a post here about loading for semi auto's. Like my BAR11 in .270. It mentioned that a base die set was the way to go to avoid getting jamming/feeding probs. I cant find that post now (havent got my head round this newish format).Any clues/brands etc.?

NOT "BASE DIE SET", what you're looking for is a "small-base full-length resizing die". IF you use one, and it SHAVES BRASS OFF THE CASE, stop using it!! Try this. Take a case fired in your rifle. Don't do anything to it, but try to see if it will re-enter the chamber of your rifle and permit the bolt to fully close. If so, you only need a regular sizing die, and can forget the "small-base" die thing!

Every semi-auto I have loaded for did NEED THE SMALL-BASE DIE!!

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I use Redding dies for loading my AR10 never found the need for small base dies.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote