Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case lube problems.
 Login/Join

posted
I started using Hornady Oneshot in the pump bottle. I am getting little dents in the case just below the shoulder both on 280 Rem and 6mm Rems. I am also getting a build up of dirt when I put them in the tumbler. Has anybody else had this problem? I have been using the aerosol Oneshot for years and never had a problem. The sport shop was out last time. I also managed to get a case stuck which I haven't done for years.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

35WhImp

Posts: 21 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee Lube

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I would not use it if i got a stuck case and had dents. sound like its not doing the job.
i used a couple bottles of rcbs pump spray lube and desided that I would go back to the rcbs lube and a pad I tried so of the lee white paste and resizing was real hard no matter how much I put on the case.
I clean my dies a lot usually after each batch of reloads

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Imperial Sizing Die Wax.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Imperial +1.

Posts: 82 | Location: SW FL | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know everybody uses one brand or another .

Several years back I made a nifty little Jig to hold cases in # 50 per rack small , medium , large . They set primer end out with a sliding cover, so as to cover the case neck or shoulder area . It would cover the entire cases if I so choose to do so . Any way I cover the neck and shoulder spray Bo-Shield . I wear Nitrile gloves and roll the cases in my fingers as I place them into loading trays . NEVER have stuck another case or seen dents or dirt scratches . I also keep my Dies real clean and lightly lubed and covered when not in use .

I used to place them in a flat pan spray what ever brand lube on them roll then repeat . I found by using Bo Shield I needed 1/5 as much lube and it did a better job IMO .Least wise I've never stuck or dented another case .

The reason for the gloves is , I like to keep my hands and fingers clean . When shells are loaded I wipe everything off with a cotton terry towel . I now polish cases maybe after every 5-8 reloads . The brass just stays cleaner and doesn't seem to tarnish like it did before .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try something else. I've tried just about everything under the sun over the last 40 years, and keep coming back to standard RCBS lube.

quote:
Originally posted by 35WhImp:
I am also getting a build up of dirt when I put them in the tumbler. Has anybody else had this problem?

Well, I guess everybody has a different way of doing things. I would never contaminate the media with any kind of lube. After sizing, I wash the brass in hot soapy water and allow to dry before putting it in the tumbler.

After seeing so much comment on it, I tried the Imperial Die Wax. After a sizing a couple dozen cases with it, I threw it in the trash. Whether a little or a lot, I didn't find that it provided enough lubrication for sizing centerfire rifle cases. To each his own.
---------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
After seeing so much comment on it, I tried the Imperial Die Wax. After a sizing a couple dozen cases with it, I threw it in the trash. Whether a little or a lot, I didn't find that it provided enough lubrication for sizing centerfire rifle cases. To each his own.

+1 on that! I was hiding from a heat wave in front of the air conditioner, sizing 45-70 cases in a lee hand press. I was using the so-called-best lube, imperial wax. It seemed like it was taking a lot of effort, so I switched to my old standby RCBS case slick. The sizing effort was cut in half! That can of imperial now resides in the same place as 400 nitro's, the round file. Hmmmm maybe I'll dig it out of the trash to try it as flux for the lead pot!

As for the Hornady one shot, the ONLY time I ever stuck a case in a die, was when I tried it. Which was the LAST time I tried it.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go cheap-10w-30 synthetic motor oil. You don't have to even hardly get them wet, wipe them off with an old towel. A quart will do several thousand for $7.00.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im with jstevens. I use synthetic oil on a felt pad, a little roll and your ready. cheap and never stuck a case.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I setup my full length resizing dies as prescribed by the manufactures. After that I always put a 0.010 shim between the die and the press. I get resizing of the neck, the sides, but the shoulders don’t get resized or pushed back. The shim doesn’t let “oil canning†of the shoulders to happen.

RCBS lube has worked for me for over 30 years but I finally bought a can of Imperial Wax.

Some people like to apply Imperial Wax with their fingers and just smearing it on each and every case. To hell with that! I don’t have the time in my life to do that, I resize 500 at a setting (I have a job to go to in the morning).

I smear Imperial Wax on a RCBS lube pad and just roll the cases on that.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
I use a one gallon plastic bag, spay some Lymann case lube into it, dump my brass in, close the bag with no air in it and roll the brass around with my hands. Open bag and begin resizing. No problems as of yet, but I have only been loading for less than a year now.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes I don't think anyone hears me "BARDAHL" homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS case lube is nothing but STP.......Gummy, sticky, impossible to clean off cases, hard sizing, costly, tiny bit too much and you got dents, can kill primers, can't lube case necks with it, 'cause it can pollute powder, about zero lubricity compared to wax, I could go on and on.....Had a buddy used Crisco....worked pretty well. But, Imperial works the best. I use a Coax press with the automatic shellholder, and the good leverage, and about every third or forth case using Imperial, I can skip the lube entirely; just run it in and trust the residual wax to lube enough....
I wipe each case well, after resizing, with a clean towel. I don't want any of the super slippery wax on the cases when firing, as casehead thrust could be increased..... Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 35WhImp:
I am getting little dents in the case just below the shoulder [QUOTE/]

Too much lube on/near neck/shoulder.

[QUOTE]
I also managed to get a case stuck which I haven't done for years.
[QUOTE/]

Not enough coverage of lube on case body.
I guess the sprayer is a bit crude.
Everyone says not to get lube on the sholder, but how you manage not to with a sprayer I don't know.

With a lube pad you miss the sholder and neck.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
I started using Hornady Oneshot in the pump bottle. I am getting little dents in the case just below the shoulder both on 280 Rem and 6mm Rems. I am also getting a build up of dirt when I put them in the tumbler. Has anybody else had this problem? I have been using the aerosol Oneshot for years and never had a problem. The sport shop was out last time. I also managed to get a case stuck which I haven't done for years.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

35WhImp

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As always I have gotten tons of advice. Thanks for all of the information!

35WhImp

Posts: 21 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldmodel70:
RCBS case lube is nothing but STP.......Gummy, sticky, impossible to clean off cases, hard sizing, can kill primers, can't lube case necks with it, 'cause it can pollute powder,

None of this is true and if you're having those problems with it, it's due to improper case prep. It can't kill primers or pollute powder if the cases are cleaned properly after sizing as they should be before reloading. RCBS is the easiest sizing lubricant I know of to remove completely because it's water soluble - it washes right off.

quote:
I wipe each case well, after resizing, with a clean towel. I don't want any of the super slippery wax on the cases when firing, as casehead thrust could be increased..... Grant.

Just wiping it off won't completely remove any lube that works worth a damn, and that means you are getting some of it in the chamber with precisely that result. They need to be cleaned of the residue completely, and that's easiest with a water soluble lube.

As for Imperial being "super slippery wax", when I used it no matter how much I used I got enough friction to cause the cases to stretch - a problem quickly solved by switching off to RCBS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am also getting a build up of dirt when I put them in the tumbler. Has anybody else had this problem?

35WhImp:

That won't happen if you put only clean, dry cases into the tumbling media. Tumbling media is a fine polisher, but not a particularly efficient cleaner, especially with respect to case lube.

There are different ways to lube cases, and a lot of different products out there. You're looking for something that will get the job done with the least friction. Whatever you use, it does need to be removed. Wiping the case off with a rag doesn't get the job done, does nothing to remove the lube inside the case mouth, and is ridiculously labor intensive besides.

Trying to properly prep cases and then immediately load them isn't a very efficient way to do it. First off, brass is cheap. Get an adequate supply for the volume of shooting that you want to do. When I'm prepping centerfire rifle cases(sizing, trimming, cleaning) I rarely have any intent of loading them any time soon. If I need to load immediately, I go to the shelf and get a batch that I prepped weeks or months ago. That way there's no need for short-cuts, like loading freshly sized brass that hasn't been cleaned properly.

Here's what I do. When prepping centerfire rifle cases, I inspect, size, decap, and trim where needed. Then I dump the cases into NRA formula case cleaner (white vinegar, liquid dishwasing soap, and salt), agitate, and let sit for a couple minutes. That removes any water soluble case lube (both inside and out), tarnish, etc. (If your lube isn't water soluble, then you need to know what solvent to use.) I then agitate well in hot, soapy water to wash off the salt and vinegar, and rinse. Takes about five minutes total. Hell of a lot easier than trying to wipe the lube off each case with a farking towel, and doesn't contaminate and gum the tumbling media. Invert them in a rack to dry. When dry, I put them on the shelf. Sometimes I tumble before loading, sometimes I don't.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I fine it interesting that so many people can be so passionate about something so simple as case lube.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
35Whimp
I've used the Aerosol One-Shot for years.. Brass in the loading block rotate with the spray 8 inchs away from brass..When done.. Rubbing Alcohol on a rag..Wipe.. Let set for 5 mins... Load..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
None of this is true and if you're having those problems with it, it's due to improper case prep. It can't kill primers or pollute powder if the cases are cleaned properly after sizing as they should be before reloading. RCBS is the easiest sizing lubricant I know of to remove completely because it's water soluble - it washes right off.

This is certainly true about the RCBS case lube-2. It says right on the bottle that "too much lube may destroy powder and primers, wipe cases clean after sizing.

RCBS case slick spray however, is NOT harmful to powder or primers. I believe it is oil based, denatured alcohol will remove it completely, or a trip through the tumbler.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what's the problem with Bo-Shield T9 ?.

Ever Try it ?. It will surprise even the most demanding of you . archer

Once or twice a year I spray the locks on our gates with it . No matter how much it rains , blows or heat beats down on it it's there . It's real light easy to wipe on and off but the best part of all the hype IT WORKS .
Boeing spent a small fortune developing it for the Air line industries use .

I used to use RCBS Dillon Hornady Tri Flow LPS (WD 40 , I never use that junk any more ).

Silicone sprays , even teflon mold release sprays which work OK but not nearly as good as Bo-Shield T9 . Just give it a try then tell me what's wrong with it !.

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I never had any problems with the "One Shot" as long as I had enough One shot on the case. If I notice the cases are sizing kinda hard, I spray them again and its business as usual. Oh btw, make sure you shake the can for 1 min per can instruction, might make a difference. Also noticed that when Ive got the cases in the loading block to make sure I spray at the correct angle so the lube actually hits the case behind the one in front, duh. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the One Shot, never had a problem with it, I lay em out on a paper towel, spray slowly at an angle down the line from one side to the other getting inside the case neck and on the shoulder, then back down the rest of the case on the return. Let em dry for a few seconds, then roll em all 180º and repeat on the other side.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Crisco - or cooking oils.

One advantage is 100% non-toxic - you can eat it!

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Have been using the same "tub" of Forster's case lube for years for all my loading, including thousands of rounds of 30-06 target ammo.

Having heard how great the Imperial Sizing Wax was, bought a can and gave it a try on 243 WSSM cases and was sorely disappointed. The WSSM cases present an extreme lube test due to the thick case wall and perhaps a bit more case stretch when fired in an AR.

Cases lubed with the Imperial DW creaked and groaned like a dry gate hinge thumbdown; Forster's corrected the problem and can even be used to waterproof/preserve your leather products Cool.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 915 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since we're talking about alternatives, my SECRET WEAPON is..........VO5 hair dressing gel, available everywhere,comes in easy to dispense large tube, only $2.50, water base, water base, I repeat: water base. FL all my 300 Win Mag. and 300 H&H cases easily plus all pistol calibers. Try it & tell me it doesn't work......r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray in seattle:
Since we're talking about alternatives, my SECRET WEAPON is..........VO5 hair dressing gel, available everywhere,comes in easy to dispense large tube, only $2.50, water base, water base, I repeat: water base. FL all my 300 Win Mag. and 300 H&H cases easily plus all pistol calibers. Try it & tell me it doesn't work......r in s.

I will invest in some VO5 this week. I think that's the same stuff I used when I had enough hair for a flat top many moons ago. holycowroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
dancingAs promised I got and used the VO-5. I used it on some Lake City .308 cases that offer a little resistance before. On these at 75 degrees room temp it woked as good as Bardahl. In a hot water short bath most of it came off. With a little Dawn added it was history.

I am going to give this stuff a fair try over some time. If they are to be cleaned in water the loading process will have to be changed some.That really is no biggy though.

The real test will be down the road when some serious sizing is done to form short wildcats.All in all, However, I was pleasntly surprised and glad to acquire some new knowledge. thumb beerroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Imperial Wax to torture my brass. It works great for even the worst case forming adventures.
I used the old STP like mineral oil lubes by Bair, Lyman, RCBS and Hornady years ago and they were too greasy and hard to get off. I wound up using 90% isopropyl alcohol to remove it. I quit using the other lubes for Imperial but I still clean all my sized brass with alcohol.
The alcohol is a great addition. I can clean cases with it, put them in front of a fan for 30 minutes and they are dry and ready to load. I keep my brass clean and rarely have to tumble any.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Roll Eyes I don't think anyone hears me "BARDAHL" homerroger

That's what I use! Works great!

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:
Go cheap-10w-30 synthetic motor oil. You don't have to even hardly get them wet, wipe them off with an old towel. A quart will do several thousand for $7.00.

I would have thought gear oil would be better. Lathe bed slide lube is even better still.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dudley do right
posted Hide Post
I tried hornady one shot and had nothing but problems with it. I only use the Dillon lube now and have had no problems at all. Been using Dillon since it came out.

Posts: 26 | Location: Sweet Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyeslast night I left a .308 case shoved into the die with VO-5 on it. This morning I had a stuck case. Luckily I was using RCBS dies as apposed to LEE and I was able to successfully use my heavy handed extraction technique. I will continue OBJECTIVELY testing the VO-5. beerroger

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
My case lube pad is full of a variety of different oils I've tried over the last 30 years. Motor oil, gear oil, castor oil. Mostly gear oil. Works fine. Makes dents if I get too much around the necks and shoulders, as any liquid lube will. I thought castor oil was the stuff, but it started getting sticky after a while.

George Frost, in Ammunition Making, says that the lubricant used in commercial case drawing is plain soap. Might be worth a try. I've used it as a bullet sizing lubricant when I wanted to rinse the lube off for oven heat treating, and it works great for that.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet:

George Frost, in Ammunition Making, says that the lubricant used in commercial case drawing is plain soap. .

After the VO-5 ,John, we go with the soap. You will supply specifcs, right? holycowroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The primary ingredient in VO-5 that makes it work is lanolin. I use 50/50 lanolin/castor oil for severe pressure die operations. Now I use it 100% on all case loading that requires a lube (not carbide).

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:After the VO-5 ,John, we go with the soap. You will supply specifics, right? holycowroger
"Soap" is as specific as he got. Plain old soap, as in Ivory, "99 and 44/100% pure."

I've used Murphy's Oil Soap to lube bullets to push through Lee sizing dies, because I had it handy near the loading bench. Works.

Lanolin is a terrific high pressure lubricant. It's the secret ingredient in my homemade bullet lube that works so well. It's not the easiest stuff in the world to get off, though.

Same's true of castor oil. Like I said, the only reason I gave up on it is that it turned to glue on my lube pad after a while. For lubricity and film strength, though, it's hard to beat. Does the castor oil/lanolin mixture still get sticky?

Lanolin is sold in an aerosol form to be used as a machinery lubricant and metal preservative. While Googling for lanolin a while back I ran across the aerosol being sold under the Briggs & Stratton brand name.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Listen up ; Bo-Shield T9 . Simple easy no gummy residue no washing . It's as slick as Ex Pres. Willy at slipping impeachment !.

Lay down a few or several rows of cases in an empty beer or soda case . Spray on the T9 It's a DONE deal ; I've left them in the rack for weeks simply covered them with a towel , then come back and sized cases . Without ever respraying them !!.
I used to use the empty beer carton until I made the racks , either one works just fine .

After sizing or even fully loading simply wipe with a clean towel or paper towels , then put them in your ammo boxes . I'm telling you you can't believe how nice and bright the brass stays . Looooong after they've been put up .

In most cases you wouldn't even need to polish them after several reloads , They stay that clean !!!!!. archer

Saw Marine Copter 1 yesterday . I even waved at Arnold & George as they flew over .

Some how I knew they wouldn't be landing in my Smoke Choked field . It looks worse here now than any bomb run in Nam I ever saw .

I'll be restocking my safes and loading room for the next several days .

Priority during a disaster is something I would hope ALL of us would consider before it became necessary .
Unfortunately I hadn't thought much about it until 4:45 AM Tuesday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.