Tools

Case lube problems.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:

Some how I knew they wouldn't be landing in my Smoke Choked field . It looks worse here now than any bomb run in Nam I ever saw .

I'll be restocking my safes and loading room for the next several days .

I hope the fires didn't adversly affect you too badly. It sure has been hard to breathe around here for the last 4 or 5 days. Frownerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Sudsy30
posted Hide Post
I had that happening for my 223 rounds....First I was told that it would not hurt the cases...and so far I have not had one problem.... I did cull out any case that was too dented from the die.

Next I was told, and read it in 3-4 reload topics, as well as having this question answered on another forum.....You are using too much lube..... I tried 4 different ones, and like the Lyman and RCBS best...they are thicker and go on the pad...where I roll it out into the pads fabric.... The spray is good...and I have a bottle on the bench....but do not use it that much

Good luck..

Suds

Posts: 15 | Location: Sunny Florida | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbdown Was using the VO-5today on some .223 Winchester cases. Half were done with the VO-5 and Half with the Bardahl. Sharp contrast in die handle force up and down and audable squeaking during Extraction. I'm giving my tube of VO-5 to the wife. I liked the water wash idea but not at the sacrafice of which the lubes are intended. boohoo Here come da soap roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
303guy

Gear oil would be way heavy. That is the beauty of synthetic oil, slick and thin, easy to clean off. The Bardahl treatment is probably real similar.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xm15e2m4
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem with one shot aerosol in approx. 10 years. Almost ordered the pump from Midway last month but reviews stated problems similar to those above. Made me decide it was not worth the lower shipping since it was apperently an inferior product. The thing about the aerosol is
#1 SHAKE WELL for ONE MINUTE.
#2 Spray casings from 4 directions (front, back, left, right).
#3 Let dry for at least 3 minutes.
Although the Bo-Shield is looking interesting to me if I can get it cheeper than one shot.

I follow Rule #62.

Posts: 109 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 21 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Gear oil's not way heavy. 80W-90 gear oil's about the same viscosity as SAE 40 motor oil. Different rating systems. It's as hard to remove as any petroleum oil, no harder.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going for some Bardhal next time I get in the auto parts store.

Right now I am using Olive Oil and It is slicker than most anything else I tried. It is so thin it gets on the shoulders and creates dents on the short neck cases.

Would olive oil contaminate the powder? I wipe it out with a Q-Tip but would like to know. Only thing I see wrong with it is the dents in the shoulders. I neck down 308 to 7-08 using it with no trouble. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope the fires didn't adversly affect you too badly. It sure has been hard to breathe around here for the last 4 or 5 days. Frownerroger

bartsche : It was close enough for mandatory evacuation . Breathing is still difficult with all the ash smoke and who all knows what else is in the Air.

I spoke to a buddy who is with the fire Dept.

I'm going to post what he saw and told me in a new post under reloading . I think it's of interest to ALL of us who reload and collect weapons !. Thanks for the Ear. ..

The Ironic part of this FireStorm is with the speed it traveled !. Political and Media Comments were " I thought smoke rose up from a fire , not sideways " !.

As the crow flies our home was 4-5 miles from the flames at two points . My Grapefruit and Avocado trees were "Cooked off " on the East or Santa Ana wind side . I had set water on Friday & Sat. because we knew the wind was coming . Hadn't a clue as to the Firestorm . Mind you they were dehydrated rather than Burned !. Triple digit temp. coupled with fire destroys many things with out actually burning it .

Shoot Straight Know Your target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ricochet

40 weight oil is a lot heavier(thicker) than 10-30 synthetic. That is why I like the Mobil 1, it's thin. That is also why drag racers use it, Pro Stockers use a 10 weight synthetic, is as thin as water, but makes another 10 hp., of course they have to freshen up the motor a little quicker, no big deal.

Also, I am not sure about contamination of powder with petroleum oils, but I have shot enough with Mobil 1 I am sure it will not contaminate powder, even though I use it in the necks too.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Yep.

It's worked well for me for years, though.

Case lubing isn't rocket science. If the case goes in the die with reasonable effort and comes out without getting stuck, it's done its job.

Any oil in the powder will contaminate it. Gear oil, Mobil 1, castor oil, whatever.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put 20 cases in a large zip-lock bag, spray in OneShot for about 2-3 seconds, roll the cases around still in the bag on my bench and start resizing them, I have had a problem.

Posts: 27 | Location: Sanger, TEXAS | Registered: 30 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ricochetis correct !. Never use any liquid substance in the case necks or any where else in side a case !. Big NO NO . Dry lube is OK never wet . Seems as though everyones got a " Favorite " case lube if it works USE IT . If it doesn't try some of the other suggestions .

I've been using what ever for near 40 years now and I like what I'm using now best of ALL . I never had any problems with Dillon's case lube either . I just found Bo-Shield T9 better and more Economical , plus retards brass tarnishing . Other lubes work also some better than others .
Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote