Notify
Tools

5.56 and .223 brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew cempa:
Finally, how can you say "no pressure signs" when you only get two reloads from a case?? What do you call "pressure signs"?

Im my expereince with REM 223 brass used explicity for my 600 yard loads, I have no blown primers, no case head expansion and no ruptures, however, I do see tell tale rings in the case body indicating incipient separation about 1/2 way up the case body. While some would call such rings indicators of pressure, I do not, rather they are signs that the brass has been worked both by the resizing sequence and the firing expansion processes to the extent I no longer trust the brass for another reload. Lake City based short line ammo (75 Horn BTHPs at mag length and farily stiff charges of Varget) gets to 6 or so reloads before I see the same rings and ocasionally have a body separation (I hate alibis refires etc) which I attribute to the rough "under pressure" extraction as well as tired brass.

As far as exaggerating the 50% over pressure from 556 in 223 chambers, well I suppose 55k to 70+ k is not quite 50% more, but rather at least 15k past the 223 spec max. 15/55 is 27.3% over pressure. Still, a bit warm, no?

Regards;[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that it is a bit warm.

Talking on brass many favor LC military brass. Back when they made 06 and 08 it was very good brass. I have used most the different brands in the 5.56 and it's my opinion I like TW better then LC. LC doesn't seem to take the number of loading I get out of TW. I have decided yet on what to think about WCC 5.56 brass. I use a lot of the military brass for my 6x45 and have no problems there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
.244 Rem and 6MM Rem can't be interchanged?? I always heard that Remington changed only the barrel twist in 1963 and renamed it 6MMRem from .244 Rem and same case of course would be used??? Please enlight if I'm mistaken.
I guess that I need to scatter some little laugh symbols around my posts when I'm spoofing. All of the cartridge pairs I named are simply two different names for the same cartridge -- 6mm Rem and .244 Rem included.

A cartridge intended for one gun may perform in an undesirable way when fired in another gun for which it was not intended, whether the second gun's caliber is labelled identically or alternatively. Simply depending on the caliber stamping will not necessarily indicate whether a cartridge is "safe" in a particular gun; nor will it necessarily indicate whether it is "unsafe".

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Great info!. tu2 This should be made a sticky.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've reloaded about 1000 rounds of .223 and 5.56 brass.
Since I could not find 5.56 dies, they are full length resized to .223 spec.
I cut them to the max length and some of the cases don't need cut. Since I'm not taper crimping it hasn't made a difference so far.

Last rounds I put together (77 gr SMK over 23.4 gr TAC) I just reached in the bowl of prepped brass (resized, tumbled, and primed several weeks ago) and pulled out enough cases to put 40 rounds together. There are at least 6 different brands of .223 and 5.56 brass I started with so the 5 shot 1 MOA groups I shot with those hand loads (20" 1:8 stainless barrelled AR-15) were with mixed brass. I didn't get any better results back when I was careful to never mix brass.

Andrew, I have most of a box of AMAXes that I can't use, do you want them? When I reloaded with a few of them, I had to cut the plasic tips off the bullets to get them into my AR mags and the results were less than encouraging. The bullets I did not use are unmolested.

Joe