New
Find
Notify
Tools

300-7mm wildcat???
 Login/Join

<monyhunter>
posted
Ok, my brother wants me to find out some more information about this wildcat. He has a friend who's father has used this combo for years on elk and deer with great success. So now my brother is thinking about getting his gun rechamberred for it.

I guess this is simply the 300 win mg necked down. I looked at the charts for both bullets and it looks like you don't have to do anything else to the gun except the chamber work. The case dimensions are enough the same that you wounld not have to have any work done on the bolt face. I would only be about a $100 job from what my bro says.

I am wondering if this would be worth it? If anyone has any experience with this round I would like to know case capacity and velocities.

Thanks a ton and happy new year!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Monyhunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on which version of the 7mm-300 you're talking about, the one based on the 300 Win Mag case (7mm Yukon or 7x66 Randell) or the one based on the 300 Weatherby case. In either case, the ones based on the Win case will give you velocities between a 7mm Rem Mag and a 7 STW, and the one on the Weatherby case will be a ballistic clone of the 7 STW. The Wolfe publishing Wildcats book has information on both of these. Hope this helps. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
The most common 7-300 wildcat is based on the Wby case. The only problem with the 7-300 Win as I see it is neck length. The 300 Win is neck length. It starts out at 0.25" and if you hold the shoulder location and neck it down to 7mm, you're left with 0.22" Not much to left to hold the bullet.

If I were doing it, I would hold back on the 300 reamer (assuming it has a 7mm pilot) and cut the chamber somewhat short and give your self some more neck to play with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have this very wildcat, a 300 win necked to 7mm. It is a very accurate round, and an impressive one in the velocity dept. My current antelope load with the 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip chronographs 3515 fps. It will soon be joined by another cat based on the 338 RUM case necked to 7mm. Gotta love those 7mm`s.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
<monyhunter>
posted
Tim, how much powder do you use? I am curious to know how much powder the case can hold.

I am going to talk my brother out of this idea. I think he needs to get a few more years of reloading knowledge under his belt before messing with wildcats.

------------------
Monyhunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Monyhunter, Mine is a improved 7mm/300 Win 78.5 RL25 is my antelope load.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote