Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

H 4350 loads for .375 H&H
 Login/Join

posted
I would like some loads for my RSM in .375 using H4350 or H414. I will be loading the Hornady 300 gr. btsp. This will be a general big game load. I have loaded a few with 80 gr H4350 (which is mild, but was very effective on the first whitetail this season) If anybody can give me velocity estimates for this load or your pet load, I would appreciate it.

Rick

Posts: 17 | Location: Loretto,Tn | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have loaded a few with 80 gr H4350 (which is mild, but was very effective on the first whitetail this season)

Depending on the source 80 grains shows to be 2.5grs over max to 1.5grs under. Either way I would not consider it mild. The Hodgdon site calls 81.5 max at 2645. A guess you would be in the 2600-2625 range. Loadtech gives me about 20fps per grain of H4350 charge increase. The system will not exceed 105% net capacity. So it stops at 77.5grs. If I fool it to increase the capacity to allow 80grs I get 2610.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this a .375 H&H? How strong is the action? If it's a Remington 700, I think you are OK with 81.5 gr of H4350 behind 300 grain bullets.

In my Remington 700 (the Limited Classic) .375 H&H, I got a chronographed 2740+ f.p.s. from 81.5 gr. of H 4350 and 300 gr. Sierra bullets, with no signs of being over-pressure. (This is a compressed load, but that's OK.) I used Winchester brass and Winchester WLR primers (regular, not magnum -- I think the regular ones are better in this loading).

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

I have difficulty getting more than 78.0 grs. of H-4350 in my .375H&H cases (PMP & Federal) even though some have been loaded a time or two; should they should be well formed by now. I have tried more powder (according to some manuals) but just have an aversion to the crunching sound whne you attempt to seat the bullets....even when trying a longer drop tube and settling the powder in the case with my tumbler.

Eeker

I use 75.0 grs. of H-4350 with a 300 gr. PMP Round Nose and 78.0 grs. with the Nosler 260 gr. Accubond.

Both loads shoot just fine; are accurate and have taken many head of game here in Europe, Africa & the US using both a Winchester Model 70 and a Blaser R93. I've never put the loads over a screen but from the amount of game taken with them I sorta guess they work.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:

I have difficulty getting more than 78.0 grs. of H-4350 in my .375H&H cases (PMP & Federal) even though some have been loaded a time or two...

I think Winchester brass tends to be thinner-walled than some other brass, thus it is often possible to get a little more powder into Winchester brass than some other brands.

The crunching-sound when you compress loads is part of the joy of reloading!

I think the Remington 700 is a stronger action than the Model 70 or any other Mauser-type CRF action, or the Blaser R93.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rick burlison:

I would like some loads for my RSM in .375 using H4350 or H414.

I did try H414 loads in my .375 H&H, but I did not achieve results that were as good as what I could get with H4350. I also tried Varget, and did not get results that I liked. IMR 4064 gave me the most accurate results with 270 grain bullets, but at a bit lower top velocity than what I could achieve with H4350.

posted Hide Post
My rifle is a Ruger Safari Magnum. The load I am using is 80 gr H4350, WW brass, LRM primers. Using Hogdon data, this is 1.5 gr under max. The cases show no signs of pressure and recoil is mild. So I am in the ballpark of 2600 fps? Thanks for all the responses.

Rick

Posts: 17 | Location: Loretto,Tn | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LE270:
Is this a .375 H&H? How strong is the action? If it's a Remington 700, I think you are OK with 81.5 gr of H4350 behind 300 grain bullets.

In my Remington 700 (the Limited Classic) .375 H&H, I got a chronographed 2740+ f.p.s. from 81.5 gr. of H 4350 and 300 gr. Sierra bullets, with no signs of being over-pressure. (This is a compressed load, but that's OK.) I used Winchester brass and Winchester WLR primers (regular, not magnum -- I think the regular ones are better in this loading).
What is the justification for exceeding the velocity of a published load by 100 fps? No signs of excessive pressure? The Remington 700 is a stronger action? I think a reevaluation of one's reloading practices may be in order. I know, experts don't need to hear such advise.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

jackfish.......

Appropriate.

thumb

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote