New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 ULTRA MAG AND BLUE DOT
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am hoping that seafire is still around and has his sense of humor. I am looking for a blue dot range for my RUM. I have looked around for the formula that was published one time that could guide me. I have lyman 49 with CLBs and SR-4759 but specifically wanted to play with jacketed bullets and Blue Dot without grenading anything. I found a thread that ended with "try 30 Grains of Blue dot with a 180 grain Acubond", but, that was for a 30-378 Weatherby. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks rc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have said .300 Rum.... thanks rc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been through the posts using search. I have enough of SeaFire's 04 and 05 documentation to begin. Case Capacity x .4 will be my starting point.
Objective: Fun and Flexibility. I have the .300 rum because it is supersonic to 1300 yards. I want the reduced Rum so that I can fun shoot the gun which I love and not destroy the barrel. I use a 75 lb lead sled to build my full house loads at up to 100 rounds a session, so this is not a recoil issue.
Plan: I will run bullet weights from 125 through 220 jacketed over Blue Dot and SR-4759 looking for accuracy and rational out comes. (Whispers, Squirrel and Rabbit, Cayote, White tail, and paper groups)
Seafire, if you are out there I would love to hear from you.
Thanks to all who make this forum great.
rc

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Welcome RC, Keep us posted on what you find out with the RUM. I have one too. God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
RC, not too long ago there was a lot of controversy regarding Blue Dot loads and a gun blowup. He may not want to respond with any additional load data because he would probably promptly get trashed severely.

With all the problems with Blue Dot and regular capacity cases, why would you want to put any in a case such as the RUM??? Would be like putting dynamite in a trash can to blow the lid off and holding it in your arms to aim it!!

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sofa

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was not aware of a blow up. My own experience with blue dot makes me believe it was a double charge. That would be a serious error. I hope no one was seriously injured. <Break>

I will proceed with the SR-4759 side of the testing. <Break>

I will search the forum for info on the blow up. Woods, can you point me toward the incident documents (for my own information). The only issue I know about on Blue Dot is in the warning from Alliant on .41 cal pistol loads.

I do know of cases (during 40 years) of handgunners double charging Bullseye and/or Red Dot. Also some cases of "wrong powder". I have never seen a documented "detonation" due to pressure spikes, but, I accept the logic.

Again, Thanks for the advice. rc

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/8131029301/p/1

and this one will show why seafire may be a little recalcitrant

http://forums.accuratereloadin...131013501#4131013501

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Just FYI, your 300 RUM can be supersonic WAY past 1300 yards since you reload. Check out the 208 grain Amax specifically, .648 BC.

And if you are looking for real weak loads, check out Trail Boss.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler Kemp, besides the fact that I LOVE my 45-70 gg, and have also found mine to be a 1 hole shooter, your comments about the velocities past 1300 yards has my attention. I have not seen the ballistic charts on the .648 BC, but I will get too it. 208 Grain sounds like it would have the sectional density to carry. The BC sounds awesome. I will go to my supplier immediately. I am thinking Retumbo, but the new(to me) Hodgen US-869 needs to be looked at. I may need to rebarrel. I am shooting a Remington 700 police with the stock barrel at 26" 1:10.
To all: Thanks for the info and responses. I will post my results as I get them. rc

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I think Woods pretty much covered everything I was thinking about it.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote