Tools

Powered measure suggestions, please.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gentlemen:
I need a new powder measure.

I like the RCBS inflow but add to it the micrometer adjustment to save time in getting an accurate charge.

However, I would also like to use my new measure for black powder as well as smokeless.

I'm looking at the Lyman 55 black powder measure. It can work with both black and smokeless and has a large aluminum reservoir.

Questions:
1. how easy it to quick change from one charge to another?
2. can a micrometer ajustment be added?

The smallest charge I use is 9 grains of Unique for a .45 Colt up to 440 grains for my 4-bore double rifle.

Anything you can tell me about the measure would be appreicated as well as other suggestions. I know I can't use the RCBS with black powder.
Cheers and thank you.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, I see your question, but having just recently getting my Ideal Lyman 55, I have no experience yet with it. I'll be watching this thread for answers/info myself.

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same here. Your questions aren't being ignored. I just don't have the answers but am interested so will monitor the posting for someone that is informed.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Been using a Lyman 55 since '68. Then they all had plastic hoppers and had the black powder charge weights in the instructions.
No issues; they came out with the aluminum hopper for the lawyers, not because plastic won't work.
I also have a new BP one; rarely use it; I like to see the powder level.
A Lyman will work for you for your 45 loads too.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Cal,
I use a Dandy . It is quick, and great to use. Once you get it set, it provides very consistent charges. I just use Lyman dippers to get the charge close. Press the start button and away it goes. I like the one I have.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldused many different powder measures in my 61years of reloading. For the last 15 years or so I've used the little Lee dispenser. It works so well that a while back I bought 2 more for $16.00 each Thinking I might live that long. shocker
They'll probably still be in the boxes at my estate sale. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Lyman 55 for over 20 Years and it is the measure that I recommend to people just learning to reload.

Changing powder usually takes me a couple of minutes to dial it in. Not any longer than the Redding Powder Measure that someone gave to me a few years ago.

I have found that it throws consistent charges and I like to knocker it seems to really help with the larger extruded powders.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lyman 55 - what the others said. I don't think you can ever wear one out.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Lymand 55 and a newer RCBS, Ive used the enough to know them well, and that is difference in powder measure, is the user..The all have a mind of their own, and the secret to using them accuratel is repetition of movement on the reloaders part, use the same movement with each toss, and in time you won't even need a scale except to set your load.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best all rounders are the RCBS and Lyman powder measures. They will last you a lifetime. The top of the range is Harrel which runs on roller bearings and has an excellent click measuring mechanism.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HMMMMM I should put my 2 Lyman #55's up for sale as I'm not using them!

Hip

Posts: 1894 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have 2 RCBS powder measures and the Little Dandy.

The 1st measure I got in 1971 has an aluminum cylinder.. the 2nd one I inherited from a friend around 1985 has a plastic cylinder.
I use them for rifle only.

For pistol, I use the Little Dandy.. it will really increase your production if you only have a single stage press.. You can charge up a block of 50 in about 2 minutes.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am trying the RCBS CHARGEMASTER 1500.

It works great, but, I can weigh charges at least twice as fast as it does by hand on a digital scale. clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Belding&Mull will throw any powder I've tried. Slower than most measures--but accurate and consistent.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two Lyman 55 from the late 50's with a couple extra brass rotors I made for specific pistol loads which work like the little Dandy...a Little Dandy with all the rotors plus a half dozen or so blank rotors I reworked for specific loads also...and an RCBS with both rotors. I sue these for volume case reloading, pistol and rifle.

BUT as Bartsche indicated, I have 3 sets of Lee, two of the old variety and one of the new CC version plus a big handful of extra dippers from die sets and shot shows...AND quite a few home made from shell cases and wire/wood handles.

I use the Lee dippers for 80% of my reloading and to setup the rotor style measures, again for volume loading.

You DO have to develop a rhythm with ALL the various styles except for the electronic variety maybe.

I start with the EMPTY rotor chamber facing down, WHANG the handle down twice mildly to be sure the chamber IS empty, rotate the handle up and pop the handle against the stop twice again, gently, then rotate down to empty the chamber into the case...and repeat. I do a row of ten then weight check the last one. If that one is good then I stuff the bullet in and finish those ten.

NOTHING can set me off quicker than tripping/dropping/banging/mucking up a full rack of powder primed cases when going from powder charging to bullet seating...messing up 1-10 is bad enough...and the more you handle things the more apt you are to get/go crazy.

For log style powders such as 4831 or flack powders I whack the handle a little harder, for ball only one pop.

For LEE dippers I dump the powder into a soft plastic 2 pint container, run run the dipper twice through the bulk powder and shake sideways twice to level then weigh...again you just have to work out your own method.

I like balance beam powder scales and mechanical powder measures...they are simple, relatively accurate and precise...AND REPEATABLE...AND I can still work when the power is off.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, I have to modify what I posted above.

The RCBS does work great, and has not dropped more than 0.1 of a grain over the desired charge.

But, I can charge several rounds for each one it does.

Where it comes in handy is you can charge and seat the bullets at about the same time.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Belding&Mull will throw any powder I've tried. Slower than most measures--but accurate and consistent

I never could get on with mine as it used to "torque" when I was using it and no matter how tightly I clamped it'd still twist, turn, "torque" in that mount.

I've owned and used CH 502 measures, the CH "Push Button", the Duo-Measure, the RCBS Uniflow and the Lyman 55. Of them I found that the best overall was the Lyman 55.

All the others although accurate were not as easy when all factors were taken together as was, overall, the Lyman 55.

What I'd like to try would be a free mounted Dillon Powder measure used as a stand alone powder dispenser. Like the old CH "Push Button" but bigger.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
enfieldspares, you are spot on that the Belding & Mull torques as it is a slide handle vs a pull down handle. Simple solution is mount a strip of metal next to it to prevent twisting.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've not seen anyone mention Redding powder measures. I have a 3BR that has been really accurate and performs as well or better than my RCBS and Lee Classic, especially with ball and shorter extruded powders. While the Redding was not designed for black powder, there is a company that sells an after-market hopper made of Pyrex type glass for Redding powder measurers that might work (never tried it) with black powder. Personally, I would probably never use a modern powder measure for black powder. I have a set of Lee dippers and digital scale for that task.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Black powder? Hell you can use a spoon or a coffee cup for that matter..I drill out deer horn and use them as dippers..make a lip on them..

I seldom if ever weigh a charge unless Im working up a load, I use powder that meters well and Ive checked my weighing hundreds of times and it always spot on..I have used the same old powder measures for maybe 50 years, and if one makes it a point to make the same movement every time on each case the powder measure will repeat itself within a tenth at the most..check the rounds under a light and put a bullet in the case...It works if you go to the trouble to learn the process, Accuracy with the powder measure is the user, not the design or make..I do have an old RCBS scale and I use it from time to time when working up loads or with a specific powder that's course and doesn't meter well, like 4831 but even it is within a couple of tenths, usually fills a case with powder that can't be over loaded in some, rather most cases as it usually gets more velocity with much less pressure than any powder I know of.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regular RCBS measure with micrometer works well for me. I use the original plastic hopper. A caution: I don't need to, nor do I, load when static electricity is present. Not sure about your situation up there in AK. I've heard of folks who ground the measure so static is not an issue, and have also read several articles that indicate static can't set off black powder, but can't vouch for either.

With any measure, the accuracy of the powder throw is very dependent on extreme consistency in operating the measure. It' easy to introduce 1 grain or more variation just by banging the stop when you fill the measuring chamber on one throw, then slowly easing the handle up until it barely touches the stop on the next one. I also use a baffle at the base of the reservoir, then fill the reservoir, and never throw more then 15-20 loads before refilling the reservoir.

If you use any measure with steel and plastic, it is your own personal responsibility, not one that anyone else can make for you.

ClaMar

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biggs300:
I've not seen anyone mention Redding powder measures. I have a 3BR that has been really accurate and performs as well or better than my RCBS and Lee Classic, especially with ball and shorter extruded powders. While the Redding was not designed for black powder, there is a company that sells an after-market hopper made of Pyrex type glass for Redding powder measurers that might work (never tried it) with black powder. Personally, I would probably never use a modern powder measure for black powder. I have a set of Lee dippers and digital scale for that task.

I have an RCBS and a Redding and much prefer the Redding...throws spherical powders almost always DNO. I typically throw stick powders but finish on an electronic scale.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote