Find
Notify
Tools

Belding and Mull powder measure
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted
Hi, Ive been given an old belding and mull powder measure.
I assume you set the gauge at the bottom for the desired measure, then check it on the scales then adjust till you get the required measure.
When it is set up you simply remove measure and tip into the case to be reloaded?
What can you tell me about this device, thanks

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Milosmate,

I use a Belding & Mull measure as well. I have two sets of tubes for the measure, one without markings and a sescond set with vernier settings. With the marked units you can record your settings and go back to them easily.

I usually weigh each tenth load just to keep me happy. Mine works well and is very good for repeatability.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Herb D>
posted
I've used mine now for almost forty years and keep wondering if it'll ever wear out.

My suggestion for accurate load throwing is to keep an eye on the powder column in the hopper tube - ie. keep a constant amount of powder in it. If you don't, your loads will start to vary a bit.

One shortcoming of the B & M (at least my model) is that it won't handle the large powder charges required for such calibers as the new Remington Ultra Mags.

At a gunshow last year I saw a brand new one (still in the box) for sale. I wish I had bought it!

<gamecock>
posted
Thought you guys might like to know: Belding & Mull loading tools and equipment were mfg. in Philipsburg, PA, a small town near State College (Penn State). They've been out of business for some 40 years, but they made pretty good stuff, including an in-line loading tool, loading blocks and I believe even telescopic sights during WWII. I have a couple of their loading manuals from the 50s (don't know why I'd have two).

<David Wile>
posted
Hey folks,

You must be some pretty old fellows if you know about Belding & Mull stuff. While I never owned any of their equipment, I lived in Clearfield, Pennsylvania for a few years back in the 1960s, and one of my friends there used a B&M powder dispenser that he liked very much. Clearfield was next to Phillipsburg, and, on one occasion I visited the Belding & Mull factory. They also used to make cleaning rods.

I opted to go with a Lyman powder dispenser at that time, and now, after reading your posts, I wish I had also bought a B&M dispenser. My friend back then also had a Lyman 310 "Nutcracker" tool that he showed me how to use when he was away from his reloading bench. At the time I thought the 310 tool was a throwback to ancient times, and I was happy to use my RCBS Junior press.

This past spring I bought a Marlin 1895 Cowboy lever action in 45-70, and, before I knew it, it started talking to me, and I had to buy a Lyman 310 Tool to make ammo for it. This was in spite of the fact that I have had RCBS 45-70 dies for over 30 years. Now that I bought the old throwback 310 Tool, I think a B&M powder dispenser would fit in also.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

<gamecock>
posted
A post-script to the B&M powder measure - fabricate a buffer for the hopper similar to the one in the Reading BR model and loads will remain consistent longer; or load the hopper, fill 30 rounds, load the hopper... I agree it's a fine old tool and I probably wasted some bucks when I bought a newer model.

<Herb D>
posted
Dave,

OLDER THAN DIRT

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am astounded that B&M has been out of business that long.
The 12th ed of Handloaders Digest lists it, but the 14th shows it as a Vega product at greatly increased price.
I have several, including a couple made of aluminum, presumably during or around WWII.
The old bent credit card baffle never seemed necessary on the B&M because it has a built in baffle that sure works for me. That was its claim to fame.
I note, but haven't tries the suggestion to lose the mighty return spring, or replace it with one less robust.
I like mine.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got started in September,1948,with a Lyman #310 Nutcracker reloading tool,a Weigh Master balance beam(that uses two trays,one for the tiny weights,the other for the powder)and a Belding & Mull powder measure.
I still use the B& M measure,but i did send to Phillipsburg for a new block for it.I can't believe that it was 40 years ago.
Frank

------------------
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
My mother's family lived in Phillipsburg, and I can remember visiting Belding & Mull's shop with one of her uncles. They had a wonderous display of old time cane guns in one of the windows. That was before I became a rifle nut, and since that took place in 1948, I guess it was '46 since we didn't go there during the war, though we lived in Clearfield in those years. Time sure flies when you're havin' fun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought some stainless steel cleaning rods from Belding and Mull in the early eighties if memory serves. Quality stuff. I still have them although I use coated Deweys now.

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote