Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crimping
 Login/Join

posted
I am new to reloading, and am doing 7mm Rem mag. I am confused about crimping, do I need to crimp? If a bullet has a cennelure is it required to be crimped?
Thanks for any help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about it.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don,t kknow how much rading you have done on reloading,but some people whom load bullets with cannalures like to roll crimp them,and other bullets just taper crimp them.If you want a roll crimp,the instructions to set up your dies comes in the box with them,if your using RCBS dies. A roll crimp is suggested for those whom are loading for semi-automatic rifles to insure that the bullets will not move due to the operatiion of the gun. This is why military rounds are crimped.van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If shooting a bolt action don't bother crimping. After sizing you have plenty of neck tension.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No crimp needed on any rifle except those with a tubuler magazine. If you find the perfect seating depth, the case mouth will not be at the cannelure anyway.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
IMHO, crimping is optional in 99% of the cases.

I use a compressed load in my 375 H&H so I bought the Lee factory crimp die (FCD) for it and loaded my first rounds using it. It shot scary well from the start so I've continued to use it.

In my 22.250 I did a controlled experiment with identical components with and without the Lee FCD. My chronograph showed a distinct improvement in extreme spread and standard deviation on the order of about 15% or so and a small improvement in group size averages (I'll have to dig up the test sheet for exact numbers) so I continue to use it in that gun also.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
The only crimp die I use is a Lee Factory Crimp and I own one in every caliber. I have set up side-by-side loaded-at-the-same-time tests between identical loads and in each case the crimped cases yielded a little more velocity and a little better groups. Not very much and it can only be seen in averages from groups of 10 shots or more.

Anyway, if it improves velocity, accuracy and you don't have to worry about bullet movement, why not?

Once again, Lee Factory Crimp only!

lee factory crimp die

The're easy to use and fool proof, at $8.00, what's the problem?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help, looks like no crimping will have me shooting my own loads sooner. May experiment later, just to see if I can do it.

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
My experience with the Lee Factory Crimp Die agrees with woods'. I use it on everything, bolt or not. May not make a big difference, but it's there.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the other Lee Factory Crimp die users and now use Lee's on all my rifle rounds.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote