THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Barnes 375 300 gr Flat Nose Vs 300 gr Round Nose

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes 375 300 gr Flat Nose Vs 300 gr Round Nose
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted
Im taking a trip in July and dug out my bullets and have been tryin to get the 300gr banded solid flat nose to print like my 300gr TSX. I think I've got it but I'm about out of bullets. I went to order and see they have went to a round nose. Put micrometer on them and they are longer. Is my previous arm thumping all in vain by having to start over?

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is my previous arm thumping all in vain by having to start over?

Until you load them and shoot them. How will you know.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
At this point, there isn't any load data from Barnes that I find on their website. I have their No. 4 book but it just has the flat nose.
I have contacted customer service and will call Mon.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my rifle the round nose shoot a bit lower at 100 yards than the flat nose, same load, but shoot about 60 fps faster. Both shoot close enough to TTX to work OK. But I prefer the flat nose, just seems to me like they would hit harder Wink.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I prefer the flat nose, just seems to me like they would hit harder .

We all know something flat hits harder then something round.

Just drop a 10lb bar of lead on your foot then a 10lb round lead ball on your foot.

Tell us what one hurts the most.

stir

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Just drop a 10lb bar of lead on your foot then a 10lb round lead ball on your foot.

That sounds cool! I'm gonna try that tomorrow just to see for myself! faint

Hip

stir

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

stir[/QUOTE]

Using the formula to calculate impact
(F = mv/2t), all things except shape being equal, your 10lb chunks of lead hit with equal impact. That’s why I said it “seems” the flat nose hits harder Wink

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That older thread here seemed to show that largish flat meplat bullets outpenetrate the round nose rounds.

What I use solids for, its straight line penetration that I am looking for. Mathematically, the energy is the same. The difference between flat pointed and round nose solids may not be significant in the real world, but it is a comfort to me.

I have had no failures with the flat pointed bullets (Barnes, TBSS, Swift hydro, Northfork)... so I am not "fixing what is not broken..."

I switched to Northfork solids when Barnes went to the RN format as far as handloading them.

The round nose definitely are easier to make feed reliably. Some rifles won't feed flat points without some significant gunsmithing. That was what I was told was behind Barnes going back to round nose solids. Admittedly, a reliably feeding solid is more important than a little more straight line penetration.

Posts: 10596 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a 260 gr. Nosler Solid( FP) on a hippo with my .375/.284 XP handgun at 120 yds. on a frontal brain shot. Found the bullet 3/4 way thru the body. That was super performance as far as I was concerned.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 249 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
CEB 300 gr safari solids shoot to the same point of impact as 300 gr TSX in 3 different rifles.

Flat point solids do “seem” to hit harder to me as well. But for damn sure they penetrate straighter and almost always exit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote