New
Find
Notify
Tools

covering presses
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My reloading bench is in the little utility room on the end of the carport. I've never covered my presses befor but am considering it.Would the covers cause the press to rust from not having airflow or would the be less likely to rust because the are covered?

Posts: 34 | Location: Magnolia, AR | Registered: 01 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I would make the covers out of lightweight cloth or plastic, with vents in the top.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A light coat of oil on the bare steel parts before covering will help.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Rockchucker and I keep it covered with the vinyl cover from RCBS. It has never rusted; I am in PA and your are in AR so humidity should be similar 15%-85% relative humidity range.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A heavy cotton pillow case has kept my Rock-chucker dust free for years. A light oil keeps the rust at bay. I live near the ocean and uncovered stuff tends to rust over time. I prefer the cotton to vinyl as it breaths in a humid environment, but the cover is mainly to keep it as dust free as possible, the light oil takes care of the rust side of things.
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An old acquaintance here in England covered his RCBS Rockchucker with the botton end of the leg of an old pair of denim jeans!

He left the foot end alone and sewed up the end where he had cut if off below the knee to make a denim bag/cover.

It worked for him!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Lyman Orange Crusher hides under an upside down 4litre/1 US gallon motor oil container with the top cut out to just below the shoulder level. It gets an occasional spray of Wd40 on the ram & wipe over with a slightly oily rag. I don't ever prime on it & the rag is more dry than wet oily.
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cover my press and powder measure. I have never seen any rust. Just a spray of Rem oil ever now and then.

The more people I get to know, the more I love my dog!

Posts: 117 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 26 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
What type of climate do you live in, Oldreloader?

Since your reloading room is in a carport, if you experience winter and rain, all exposed surfaces need to have a good oil applied every now and then. People say good things about Rem Oil and I use Breakfree as both a lubricant and protectant.

Putting a cover on will keep the dust and paint-fading sunlight off. Cloth is recommended. If you use plastic, make sure it is NOT airtight. I would suggest a breathable nylon like what Dillon makes their press covers out of. I have one on my 550B to keep dirt off (dust, random powder granules, sawdust, etc), even though my reloading room is in the basement.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Magnolia AR. We have high humidities here most of the time.Hot summers and cool winters are the norm.

Posts: 34 | Location: Magnolia, AR | Registered: 01 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
High humidity = rust.

I'd suggest getting a good oil like Rem Oil or Break Free and put it on all iron or steel surfaces. Then cover with a breathable cloth or nylon.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote