New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Win Mag 350 Speer/Hornady loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been looking around for any load recipes for this bullet, I guess the Hornady 350 would also be an equal projectile

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Odessa>
posted
I have been using the Speer 350 grain flat point in my .458 Win Mag M70 African for the last 4 years. I load 70 grains of Alliant Reloader 7, Winchester Large Rifle Primers (standard, not magnum), and W-W cases. This load clocks 2,235 fps from my rifle's 22" barrel, with my Beta Chrony set up 15' in front of the muzzle. It has been a great load for shooting this rifle, much cheaper than shooting 500 grain FMJ's and more pleasant on the shoulder as well. It should be a good load for whitetail or black bear - much like a stout 45/70 load. Odessa

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
My 458 M77 Ruger simply loves the Hornady 350 gr. bullet. Powered by 74.3 gr. of IMR 3031 this load will put five of those pills into a half inch all day long. I have not shot these over a chrono but they should be around 2350 fps or so.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
raamw,
I used to load the 458 Win.Mag. with 350 grain Hornady RNSP's and the 350 grain Barnes X-Bullets. I used the Winchester cases with the X-Bullet and Remington cases with the stubby Hornadies. Federal 215 primers.

I used IMR 4198 with a charge in the 67 to 69 grain range. This will give 2500 fps. Accuracy was 1.5 MOA. The IMR 3031 loads at about 2300 fps are more accurate. Start low and work up, as always.

Wow! Check out the stevespages link for the starting and max loads.

------------------
Good huntin', shootin', and spear chuckin',
RAB

[This message has been edited by R. A. Berry (edited 09-16-2001).]