New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Primer Seating Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Currently I use my RCBS Press primer attachment to seat large rifle primers for my hunting rifles. All shells have their primer pockets uniformed and cleaned prior to primer seating. I haven't experienced any problems (maybe I'm lucky).
Based on older posts, I was thinking of purchasing a Sinclair tool, but sure don't want to fund a solution in search of a problem.
So, my question is a hand seater necessary, and an improvement for large rifle primers used for hunting rounds?

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No it is not. You can feel the primer seat using the press too. Just because it has more mechanical advantage over a hand tool doesn't mean you can't seat slow and easy to feel the primer bottom. In fact, every operation when loading should be slow, easy and felt. There is never a need to yank that handle.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I have a Sinclair tool and I can only say that it was money poorly spent, considering that I am not a stool-shooter. It will make no difference in your hunting loads and it costs over $100.00 and uses Lee priming tool shellholders. Money would be better spent on the LEE handprimer. It is only about $13 for the tool with both Lg and Sm primer punches and trays and a complete set of Lee shellholders for the priming tool is only about $13. If you just want a more expensive tool, buy the Hornady or the RCBS, they won't do any better a job than the Lee but, they will cost more.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westernmassman:
So, my question is a hand seater necessary, and an improvement for large rifle primers used for hunting rounds?

Is it necessary? No.
Is it an improvement? Of course it is.
Is the Sinclair worth the money? Absolutely. It's the finest priming tool available, it's completely adjustable and 100% repeatable. You can't seat a primer short and it's impossible to crush one.
Is it worth it to add one to your operation for hunting ammo? Only you can answer that question.
It only costs a little bit more to go 1st class. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the above mentioned Lee and it does a nice job. I also have a few sets of "Lee Target Dies" that have a hand primer included that work real WELL. I can't imagine using a press to seat primers, although I did around 1960 and until I saw the light(hand tools). Never used a Sinclair, so I can't comment, kind of in a rut, I guess?

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If any one can prove to me that there is an accuracy difference between properly seated primers on the press, A Lee tool or a $100 tool, I will have to chew up some primers. It depends more on the user then the tool.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hand tool is quicker and it does give more feel since you are not using a long lever. For hunting if you are fine using your press keep on using it. As an accuracy advantage for hunting it really doesn't matter. A Lee auto prime or the RCBS priming too will work also.

As for the Sinclair...it is a great tool. I have an older one when they actually made one for small primers and one for large primers. Mine is a small primer seater. It is a great tool and I bought it for $50 bucks when I first started shooting BR in and around 1993.

If you want to get a quality tool without taking out a loan look at the K&M. I also have one of these and use it for all my larger primer work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the Lee tool. It costs less than $15, including both the large and small primer apparatus, and there's no need to spend more than that for some other more expensive tool. It's a huge improvement over using a press to seat primers.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While the Sinclair tool is great, it is expensive. I think any hand priming tool is a ton better then any press mounted tool, but there are hand tools out there that are a lot less expensive, and for hunting loads I would think that they would be just fine. I do like the Sinclair well enough to have two of them set up for both size priners, and the idea that they are not a more uniform way to seat primers is foolishness.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
The hand held priming tools give you a great feel as far as seating depth. Hand held priming tools are a pain in the “hand†as far as doing a couple of hundred rounds at one time. The RCBS Auto Priming tool is the fastest and easiest way to prime cases in volume. You can feel the primers seat just as easy as a handheld tool.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee hand primer on all my brass.

I can feel the primer seating on my Dillion press, but what I can't tell what the pressure that is needed to do it.

Much easier to tell with the lee primer if the primer pocket is too loose and should be thrown out.

Have never used the Sinclair primer.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No experience with the Sinclair but I like the Lee so well that I bought two so I can leave one set up for small primers and one for large. I like them much better than using my press. Try the Lee. If you don't like it, you're only out $15.00. If you don't like it, sell it to me. I'll give you $10.00. Big Grin