Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with Redding 222 Dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Col K
posted
I just ran into a problem that I've never seen before. While loading 50gr V-Max bullets in 222 Remington with my Redding FL dies, I've found I can not seat the bullet to meat max oal (2.130). I screw the die body in until it meets resistance from a casing at the top of the stroke and then bury the seater plug as far as it will go, and I end up with 2.180. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?

Posts: 350 | Location: GA by way of PA, OH, KY, TX, VA, and NC | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, just acquired the three die set and found I could seat no deeper than 2.14 and the plug is maxed out. Tried to set the die deeper but then it wanted to go into crimp mode!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Col K
posted Hide Post
Roger that on the crimp mode... what type bullet are you trying to seat?

Posts: 350 | Location: GA by way of PA, OH, KY, TX, VA, and NC | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was using the 45 gr TSXFB bullet. I haven't called Redding as yet but will in the next few days. It seated the 40 Gr Nosler BT at 2.185 without a problem.

One of Us
Picture of Col K
posted Hide Post
I just talked to the help desk at Redding and they're sending me a seater plug that will seat deeper. By the way, when I called, they answered in three rings with an actual human who directed my call to the help desk (answer in two rings)again a human who hooked be right up. GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the headsup.

Yes, Redding has always been very prompt when I have had a problem with a product. Good to hear this kind of news in today's marketplace.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Col K, got around to calling Redding and "if you have a "24" scrolled on the top of the seat stem they send out the new and improved at no cost. Yes, mine is now on the way as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The plastic needle tips cause this.
Now think about what is going on.
When you add the long pointy plastic and try to meet the standard spam can OAL you are actually pushing the bearing surface back from the leade.
That creates more jump.
Why don't you load to suit the chamber/leade and magazine?
This is not Redding's problem.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
When you add the long pointy plastic and try to meet the standard spam can OAL you are actually pushing the bearing surface back from the leade.
That creates more jump.

You are in sooooooooooooo far over your head,they will need to pump daylight to you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whirlwind:
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
That creates more jump.

You are in sooooooooooooo far over your head,they will need to pump daylight to you!

What is your story?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I was wondering the same thing.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote