THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M48 Yugo Mauser. What caliber would you pick?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK I got m48 yugo action. I got a wisner safety coming and a timney trigger. I'll probably go with Talley bases and rings. But I don't know what caliber to pick. I wouldn't mind having a 7x57 mauser. But I dont know. I want something that can reach out if I have to. Where I hunt the longest shot I took was 250 yards. Its gonna be a mule deer and elk gun. I do reload, so any suggestions I will appreciate.

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
8x57

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made up a 358 Winchester on my Yugo. Matched up very well with the Yugo.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the 358 win is the best of the mediums, using 225gr spbt bullets.

While nearly every 12mm casehead round will fit, the 35s are going to give you a better result on larger game.

9x57, loaded to modern pressure, is also a good choice, but use a .358 barrel

if you don't care for 35s, the 7x57, again, loaded to modern pressures, is hard to beat.

then there is the humble 308 - which just plain works on everything from finches to eland

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will not be unhappy with a 7x57.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 8x57 Mauser is one of the greatest cartridges ever made. It's the equal of a 30-06 and will do everything it can do. If you're looking at a 7x57 and are thinking of long shots, maybe a 270 might be for you, but not sure if it would be a might too long for the 48 Yugo action.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Easy; 275 Rigby, or 9.3x62; I sell ten times more of these barrels than all others combined.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat any of the cartidges mentioned so far.

I packed a 35 Whelen from 1978 to 1994.

Currently I have a M24 Yugo I am building in 358 Win.

J Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Definitely 7X57. It performs well. As to your distance shooting query; during the Boer War the Boers were taking out the Brits at 800 meters + with that calibre (+ using 1895 Mausers as well). As mentioned the 275 Rigby; well they are essentially the same, just a British name. Performance? Read your WDM Bell + Jim Corbett.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
275 Rigby; I have two reamers, just like Rigby did; one for 140 grain; "high velocity", and one for 175s. Their rifles were marked as such.
And of course it is the same as 7.57 Mauser. Where Rigby got everything; they didn't invent much themselves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll look, but the 358 won't be over kill on mule deer? Yes I like the 8mm mauser too. I thought of that option to. I got alot of 06 brass i can make the 8 out of. Then the 7.65 would be something. I had experience with both of these calibers with takin deer.

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
what is this word "overkill"?
iirc, its about 3000lb/ft at the muzzle ... more or less what a top 308 load is..

i've seldom complained about a too big of a hole, to let the air in, on game Smiler

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
358 Overkill on anything? I do not get the concept, but I would not take a 358 into the field; way too small powder capacity.
Go with 350 Rem Mag instead; fits well into an 8mm box. I do like the 35 caliber though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
358 Overkill on anything? I do not get the concept, but I would not take a 358 into the field; way too small powder capacity.
Go with 350 Rem Mag instead; fits well into an 8mm box. I do like the 35 caliber though.

I don't want anything with a belt on it. How about a 35/284?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a thought and tell me what you all think. 7mm winchester short magnum or 284 winchester? But then again the old 8 millimeter might just be alright.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kennedy:
Here's a thought and tell me what you all think. 7mm winchester short magnum or 284 winchester? But then again the old 8 millimeter might just be alright.

Rim dia WSM = .555
" " 284 = .473
There might be feeding issues with both. Just make it a 7x57 AI and be done with it. You won't be disappointed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the AI is a nice step up.
I'd just go with 8 Mauser if elk is on the menu.
the price of a set of 7-AI dies would buy a lifetime supply of Brass or bullets.

if you want something a bit off the path the 8-06 is a good compromise between ballistics and workability.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built the AI because I got a screaming deal on a set of dies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will an 06 length round fit in an intermediate action like the Yugo?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
Will an 06 length round fit in an intermediate action like the Yugo?

It will,but not very well. I wound up using 150gr RN bullets seated a bit shorter than the OAL for 8x57.

30-06 max oal = 3.300
8x57 "" "" = 3.020

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think you guys very much. But the only decision I'm having problems with is should I go 7 millimeter or 8 millimeter mauser? The farthest shot I'd be comfortable taking is 300 yards.

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Getting fairly outside the box as far as 48 yugos are concerned, I built this rifle a few years back in 7mm WSM. Since the Yugo is a large ring intermediate length action it occurred to me that the 160 thru 180 grain bullets can be seated all the way out. Clearly the original yugo magazine being designed for 57mm cartridges was not going to fit three WSM'$ down under the bolt, so I went to work designed and machined a one piece mauser magazine to fill that Bill. After some work with the feeding it became clear to me that the Yugo 48 bolt was not going to work in feeding the WSM case as the 48 bolt lacked the projections on the left side of its bolt head, the bolt from a 24 Venezuelan does have those projections a gave the controlled positive feeding I was after, I must say considerable re machining of the feed well as well hand work thru dremmel and stones was also required to obtain perfect feeding.
At the time Murphy Precision was making pic. Rails for mausers as long as dimensions where provided so I gave them a print that accurately described the top of my receiver the rail is held on with 4 8x40's and two 1/8 pressed in dowel pins and epoxied on top of all that.
I shortened the pin drop by .150 and set it up with an Alaska Arms trigger and pulled all that together with one of my own 3 position safeties that I make. The barrel is a stainless 8 twist Krieger light Palma threaded 5/8 x 24 with an Ultra dyne break, loud as hell but recoil is cut way way down. The stock is a McMillan Interarms Mark X a 5x20 SHV handles the sighting.
I'm seating a 175 gr ABLR at 3.165 on top of 65gr of RL-26 churning up 3080 fps.
I killed a decent 4x4 mule deer in Wyoming with it 485 yard one shot kill, a south dakota whitetail at 525 and a Wyoming Antelope buck at 325, and a coyote at 225 a mere chip shot really. I have a number of properly wood stocked classic Mausers but wanted to put together a Mauser that is more or less based around an F-class Cartridge but set up in a hunting rifle for hunting. This rig is not at all what I would consider a stalking rifle as it's far too heavy for proper stalking. In my mind it's a placement piece one would use to cover and area for and hour or three. I 've fired groups as small as 1/8 moa but it seems run 1/2 moa for the most part. I did get the receiver re- case hardened at Blanchard metal treaters in SLC as I did plan on pushing it some in terms of pressure. This year I'll be in Wyoming with it to fill a cow elk tag gotta get some tasty morsels don't ya,know. The only thing yugo 48 about it at this point is the receiver. But I guess thats all it takes to make it a Yooooogo.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll probably go with the 8x57 mauser. Since I had some hunting experience with it. I got a bull elk and few bucks. The bull was about 175 yards. I was was using 200 grain Speers hot core i think. I just need to find a gunsmith in my area. Need a stock and a scope and some bases.

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kennedy:
I'll probably go with the 8x57 mauser. Since I had some hunting experience with it. I got a bull elk and few bucks. The bull was about 175 yards. I was was using 200 grain Speers hot core i think. I just need to find a gunsmith in my area. Need a stock and a scope and some bases.

Sounds like a good plan to me simply because you can use many if not all of the parts you already own.
The beauty in this is a fast pretty much straight forward path to a rifle that will be a very effective rifle in a practical caliber well suited to the action with out a ton technical hurdles cluttering the path to a successful rifle build.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 30-06, you can never go wrong with the old 06...

Im also a big fan of the 7x57..

I have a couple of 8x57s and a 8mm/06 Ackely, and they are great calibers but I personally like the 06 and 7x57 better..and resale is way better..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray this will probably be my go to rifle for deer and elk. I probably will never go out of country to hunt. I've been wanting a rifle to call my own for a long time. My boys took claim to my rifles I did have. So this rifle will be special to me. Its all mine til I die. Im 42 so I got 25 years or so i hope to hunt.