New
Find
Notify
Tools

Combined Technologies Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have just had a really bad experience with the 30 caliber 168 grain Combined Tech. bullet. I was considering using this bullet for 1000 yard competition in the newly created "F" class. I loaded fifty of them with two different powders and went to my shooting bench for testing. After two fouling shots, one three shot group. I settled down and shot my first serious group. When I got up to reset the chronograph i happened to glance at the end of the bore and it looked the a barber's pole, only no blue and red. Just a solid copper coating on the lands. To keep from making a long story even longer, nine hours later and with the help of the guy that built my rifle I finally got the fouling out. This a premium match barrel that refuses to foul with any other bullet. Has anyone else had this experience with the Combined Technologies Bulllets, or did I get a bad lot. I proved it wasn't the barrel tonight. I took it out and shot the load it loves with the Sierra Palma bullet and after 20 rounds and a look down the bore with a scope no copper fouling was there, so it is not the barrel. I would be interested to hear what others experiences have been with this bullet.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
<gone hunting>
posted
i shoot the 55gr CTB in my 6mmx284 at 4250fps with no real fouling problems, the barrel is a Shilen select match, i clean it after every 50 or so rds.

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
So, how did the fouling affect accuracy? That would be the key question here. Some degree of fouling is normal in any barrel. You may have done more damage to your groups by completely cleaning the barrel than by leaving it.

Which bullets were you shooting? Ballistic Silvertips, Partitions, or FailSafes? I'm assuming from the weight you mentioned, they were Ballistic Silvertips. I have used these in .277" and haven't seen the results you mentioned.

Personally, I've made a shift from the Ballistic Tips to Hornady SST's for a polymer tipped hunting bullet. It's a tougher bullet and just as aerodynamic as the Noslers. If you're in the market for a match bullet, try Hornady's A-Max. Another plus...the Hornady's cost about half as much as the Nosler/CT offerings.

Best of luck,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
RR - I'm a little confused here. Combined Technology Bullets are great hunting bullets, but are not designed as a match grade bullet. Their component design is not inherently as stable as a mono metal or thin jacketed match bullet. Don�t take this the wrong way, but, why even attempt to use them for 1,000 shooting? There are plenty of other choices like your Sierra load. I would suggest that you stick with match grade class bullets.

As far as fouling, which bullet were you using? (Moly or Non-Moly). I have used both in my hunting .338s and have found that my guns like the Non-Moly better. Fouling is not an issue with my guns. The Combined Tech Bullets foul no more or less than the standard Nosler Partition. I believe that jacket material is exactly the same in both bullets.

I use Butch's Bore Shine at the range between strings and Sweets before storage. No unusual fouling or cleaning requirements.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot these nosler ct hunting silver tip bullets last week out of my 25-06 didn't notice any fouling, but they certainly don't hold together, they should be designated as a varmint bullet.

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Jeff S>
posted
Couple of things...Aren't CT bullets Moly Coated? If so was your bore properly prepped or had you shot lots of moly bullets through it already? If it was moly prepped its highly unlikely that it would copper foul.
Second. Most 168's are pretty dismal at 1,000 yards in my experience...Use the 175s or 190 Sierra Match Kings

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff S:
Aren't CT bullets Moly Coated? If so was your bore properly prepped or had you shot lots of moly bullets through it already? If it was moly prepped its highly unlikely that it would copper foul.

He's shooting Ballistic Silvertips. They're Lubalox coated, not moly. The CT Partition Gold and FailSafe are moly, though.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Partition Golds are available with or without moly.