New
Find
Notify
Tools

electronic powder scale education
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
my powder scale is a very old Lyman balance beam model. I would like to weigh sort some cases for my varmint rifle but the cases don't set well in the powder pan. So I'm considering buying an electronic scale. I'm not certain what I might gain in accuracy by sorting cases, but I need some incite re: electronic scale accuracy vs. costs. I know there is a huge range in prices, but educate me using your experience with electronic scales. thank you.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
RCBS

They always worked for us.

Lyman not so good in my experience.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68789 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good way to open a can of worms as its certainly argueable. I didn't much care for the electronic scale or powder dispenser...but I basically use the scale to set my old RCBS measure thats incredibly accurate with rifle cartridge powders, especially with ball powders like WW760, BAL2c, H380 335, 322 ETC..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have been reloading for a little more than 30 years. Also have experience using mechanical and digital scales in chemistry lab settings for more years than that. 2 years ago i was given a Hornady digital scale. It works pretty well for my purposes reloading 5 different calibers. Case sorting has worked out decently with my set up.
Some comments after my experiences:

Digitals scales can be 'temperamental'. Location near electrical fields may make a difference, can change of 'level'. Air currents. Sometimes the digital can just 'drift' away from its calibration.

Digitals have a warm-up time. May not matter for case sorting.

When i used the digital to weight powder charges I place it in the same location every time.

Digitals should have the calibration checked often. I made some check weights using both the digital and my RCBS beam scale so i can compare them.

When i calibrate, i do a calibration, then weigh a light object, a heavy object, and calibrate a second time. [long story about how i learned that might be necessary....]

the Hornady digital i have is not a whole lot faster than the beam scale for powder measuring. It is quite handy for weighing cases. i make sure to stand the case up in the center of the pan.

Both scales i use weigh or display to 0.1grain. Which is good enough for reloading hunting rifles and sorting cases. Digitals which weigh to an additional decimal place[or more] can cost big bucks and probably offer no advantages. IMHO

Like a lot of things, you get what you pay for, more or less. Your budget will tell you how much you want to spend.............

For sure keep your old Lyman if it still works well for your purposes.

the Hornady i have has worked well for my purposes. Since i am retired i have the time to mess around with case sorting, etc. Because i can.

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks all for input, especially RCflash for that detailed report: exactly what I was looking for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the cases don't set well in the powder pan.

It is not necessary for the case to sit well in the powder pan. The pan will swing and gravity will take care of the rest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPSnell:
quote:
the cases don't set well in the powder pan.

It is not necessary for the case to sit well in the powder pan. The pan will swing and gravity will take care of the rest.

I don't know if that is true! According to the laws of leverage, if the item that is being weighed is further away from the weigh center point it should give a heavier reading----I THINK
Confused

Hip

Posts: 1891 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know if that is true! According to the laws of leverage, if the item that is being weighed is further away from the weigh center point it should give a heavier reading----I THINK

When the pan stops swinging, the center of mass will be established and the weight will be correct.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RCflash gave an excellent rundown on the electronic scales available for handloading.

The bottom line is, if you're looking for continual frustration, have a balance beam scale to calibrate and re-calibrate it, and have a burning desire to spend extra money, an electronic scale will meet all of those needs.

By the way, weighing cases in pursuit of better accuracy is probably the least effective use of your time.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
plus 1 on weighing cases or powder after working up a load is a waste of time or entertainment for the novice. Bench rester use a powder measure or the old timers just use a spoon.. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am an Old Timer and I use a FORK! It takes a lot longer due to my shaky hands! Big Grin Roll Eyes dancing

Hip

Posts: 1891 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I have an RCBS on a Charge Master and an older Dillon. I prefer the RCBS. It is faster, both about the same accuracy.

Always make sure you let the scale warm up for 30 minutes prior to using for anything important. I also calibrate each time prior to using.

I just purchased an Auto Throw / Auto Trickler with an A&D FX-120i scale.

The scale will accurately weigh one kernel of Varget. It is .02 grains by the way.

The Auto throw and trickler is great setup and fast, will load to within one kernel of powder in less than 10 seconds.

And yes that accuracy in powder charge matters to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is an informative conversation with some good fun in. Thanks, bream

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Electronic scale was the question; I use RCBS since the first one came out.
I have no need for an electronic dispensing device. The rotary types of various makes are plenty accurate. Even bench resters do not weigh to super small tolerances.
No need to let it warm up; it works fine when you turn it on. They are not old tubes; they are circuit boards.
But never leave them plugged in; any variation in your household current will turn them on in there sleep.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I had a digital RCBS scale like the RCBS 2000 about 20 years ago and it did very well as long as you let it 'warm up' about 3 minutes when you turned it on. wound up selling it as I almost never used it.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have used the electronic for many years auto scale was the first one then the Dillon, had some issues a couple years ago with the autoscale and Lyman gave me a good deal on Gen6.
I have always thrown pistol charges and got pretty good at it.
I picked up the lock&load and can do 500 or so pistol and .223 in a couple hours or less. yeh it has its problems and I have it pretty well worked out.
It beat the ole trickle up to weight that I did for many years.
Once you get to dancing with that LNL you can make some really good ammo.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I have been struggling with this myself as of late. I really WANT to like electronic scales, but I can't seem to justify the cost, the change to my routine in loading, and the idiosyncrasies of the e-measures.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can afford it, get an A&D; super fast. Cheaper scales take too long to register dropping a kernel or two. I bought an A&D for my CO place when a Hornady scale I bought was not repeatable; going to get one for AZ as well.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote