THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    *NEW INFO, NEED INPUT* Reducing Extreme Velocity Spread
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*NEW INFO, NEED INPUT* Reducing Extreme Velocity Spread
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume too.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about getting Wyatt's box

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewp...productnumber=391812

You will have some other considerations if you set the barrel back, the biggest being that you will develop pressure much faster with the smaller combustion chamber from setting your lands closer. Will have to start over lower and your max loads will be at a much lower powder charge.

I speak from experience as I have a short throated 338 RUM and the max load in the manual for 225 gr bullets and RL25 is 98 grains. However I can not get over 94 grains without losing the primer pockets. Now tight chambers can still get you good velocity but you may no longer be able to use factory ammo and be careful to have the barrel marked as such and who you sell the rifle to, if you ever do.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Woods,

Good info on the mag box. I know I'll have to start over with load development. I also learned more about barrel cleaning today. I know there's a gun cleaning forum, but here it goes................

Before we decided to set the barrel back, he wanted to take a good look at the barrel to see if it was worth it. He used the borescope and asked me when the last time I cleaned the barrel. I told him it's clean and that I always clean after a day at the range........about 60 rounds. I've been using Wipe out with patches only till the copper is gone and finishing with Shooter's choice.

He said "take a look at all the carbon fouling". I did and it was there.

I then proceeded to use JB's non-imbedding bore compound, some Remington 40x, a bronze brush and some Shooter's choice to finish it off. It was sparkling when I was done as seen through the borescope.

He said and I found out for myself that you need to do this every so often to get out the carbon fouling. He also said that all the hubub about harming the barrel with brushes and so forth is just that, Hubub. Firing bullets down the bore at those high temps and pressures is far more violent than anything you can do with a brush or JB's to cause harm...............