Find
Notify
Tools

universal decapping die
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted
Does anyone have any experience with a universal decapping die? If so, what are you thoughts and which one do you recommend?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just bought 2 one rcbs and a lyman they will work on 204 ruger to 45-70 with no problem.they really shine with dirty cases cuz you can get the primers out without putting crap in your dies,i should have bought one years ago.the lyman seems to have a bigger rod,but they both get the job done.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I have a RCBS and a Lee. They both work just fine. Since I decap a lot of military brass, they save undue wear (and likelihood of damage) on my resize dies.

I also use one in the first station of my Dillon 550 in rifle calibers. I resize on a single stage, then tumble the case lube off. The decap die makes sure the flash hole is clear of media when priming.

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee, works fine.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy spare pins, you will break them. I use the RCBS. They sell those pins in 5 and 50 packs. I'd go ahead and grab the 50. I seem to average about 500 brass per broken pin.

Posts: 95 | Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth area, TX | Registered: 12 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I use a Lee, works fine.

+1!!! thumb
The price is also right!

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redial:
I have a RCBS and a Lee. They both work just fine. Since I decap a lot of military brass, they save undue wear (and likelihood of damage) on my resize dies.

I also use one in the first station of my Dillon 550 in rifle calibers. I resize on a single stage, then tumble the case lube off. The decap die makes sure the flash hole is clear of media when priming.

Mark

You resize without the decap pin in your resizing die, I presume.

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
No, I resize just like the directions suggest - I just do it seperately, on a single stage press. Brass goes back in the tumbler after that to get the lube off THEN to the Dillon for priming, charging and seating.

Since the brass is already resized and decapped, I don't need the size die in Station One on the Dillon, where it's usually used. The universal die pokes the flash hole clear, saving me from having to hand-inspect each for stuck media.

I use the universal die to decap once-fired military brass or any brass with crimped pockets since those are hell on the decap pins in resizing dies.

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:

I use the universal die to decap once-fired military brass or any brass with crimped pockets since those are hell on the decap pins in resizing dies.

Mark

I didnt know you could deprime military brass that way!Makes me even happier I picked up a universal decapper last year!

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee as a decapper, but I also change out the decapping pin and replace it with Lee's expander plugs for necking up wildcat cases.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the RCBS for years,for many cases of different calibers or cartridges.I never had a broken pin or any problem aside for, once using a plier to straighten out the pin.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS and have used it a lot. I use it for two main purposes.

I use it to decap crimped in military primers. It is less wear and tear on my die and also leaves the neck expanded for other case prep ops such as flash hole deburring etc.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1620 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I have the Lee & three spare pins - haven't needed one yet.
It's cheap & it works - 'nuff said.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Lee unit last night from Midway. Thanks for the information, all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, I resize just like the directions suggest - I just do it seperately, on a single stage press. Brass goes back in the tumbler after that to get the lube off THEN to the Dillon for priming, charging and seating.

Since the brass is already resized and decapped, I don't need the size die in Station One on the Dillon, where it's usually used. The universal die pokes the flash hole clear, saving me from having to hand-inspect each for stuck media.

Mark

I am just getting started and it seems like I would want to use this sequence on all rifle brass (except brand new). 1)Decap (with universal decapper), then tumble clean (to keep any crud from getting in my sizing die). Then resize, then tumble clean again (to get rid of the case lube). Then proceed with priming, charging, seating. It seems like this is one extra step than what the manuals recommend, but it sounds right to me. Am I adding one two many steps, or is this a good process?

Posts: 62 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida, USA | Registered: 23 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
The decap die makes sure the flash hole is clear of media when priming.

Great idea. Will work a whole lot better than picking the corncob out with an awl!

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of unnecessary steps and $$$ that could be put to better use elsewhere.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lee decapper works so well it even decapps the berdan primed cases that slip into every batch of range brass...

It doesn't care that there is a solid chunk of brass in the way, it simply makes a new hole.

I have two of the Lee dies, one LIVES on a single stage
(RCBS "RS") press that is only used as a decapping station.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Actually have 3 of the Lee's.. they were cheap enough to have a back up or two...

I do break pins here and there...

Lee will replace for the first 2 years free....

Replacement pins are like $2.00, so I ordered $10.00 worth a few years ago..

I wouldn't be without them.. and deprime all my brass with them first before any resizing...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have the rcbs one -- with all my wildcats, of course I do... it will do up to rum base diameter, not weatherby/rigby .. heh, when your shoulders are as larger as rum cases, that doesn't work, either!!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple of Redding ones. They work well. I am wary of decapping crimped primers. I do not want to break the pins so I use my old Simplex press for the initial decap. After that I use the Redding dies.
I have the Redding decapping dies set up with those Hornady snap lock mounts its real fast on the setup time.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I have the Lee Universal Decapping die and just love it. It has come in handy for a number of reasons. I even keep it installed on one of my little presses, ready to use at a moments notice.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote