Find
Notify
Tools

Forming .458 Lott from 375 HH
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted
I have a lot of .375 H&H brass and need more .458 Lott. Lube, put it in the 458 Lott full length die and trim?
Any tips or tricks or is it a bad idea?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
imperial sizing wax after annealing necks .. don't bother to "fine" trim, as they'll stretch a bit --

if grossly oversized, of course trim ..

don't use max loads on first firing!!!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've necked up .300 Weatherby brass to .375 after annealing the necks and using Imperial sizing die wax inside the necks. I fireformed to .375 H&H Ackley Improved. Didn't need to trim as Wby brass is a little short. If you use H&H brass do your final trimming after fireforming.

You should have no problem !

Good Luck
Hip

Posts: 1894 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Offer a swap in the classified section. I got 100 Lott for 60 460 bee. I think both of us were happy, I got the Weatherby brass dirt cheap.

One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
OK. Thanks. Need some imperial wax first. I normally use Lee lube. Never thought about annealing. Thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Instead of resizng, you can simply fire 375 H&H ammo (quite safely) and get fully formed cases which you can trim to length.
The cases will shorten by around .040” from their length as 375H&H.
Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why waste the ammo? If you are going to do that just use some quick Pistol powder, corn meal and a dollop of wax.

Hip

Posts: 1894 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trim and resize in that order and no need to anneal, fireform if you must..and of course at some point you may need to anneal or buy new brass...

Another suggestion is sell the .375 brass and buy new marked 458 Lott brass..Always the better option IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If the 375 H&H brass has been fired, you should definitely anneal it before necking it up. Brass shortens when you neck it up, so trim after you neck it up.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
The reason for asking is that Lott brass is on backorder here. I have H4895, woodleigh 500grs softs and solids, F215M and even resizing wax now. Just want to play around. I will try to anneal with a torch and resize the 375 this weekeend. just wanted some info before ruining my die. Never formed some brass to another calibre before. Thanks guys flame