THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    optimum .224" bullet weight for 1 in 14" twist...???

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

optimum .224" bullet weight for 1 in 14" twist...???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TReX300
posted
I have a Marlin 336 chambered in .219 Zipper. Its a bit of an odd ball but I really lik it. I'm currently shooting 45grn Hornady "Bee" hp's out of it and get some really good accuracy with it especialy for a lever gun. It will shoot 3 shots under 2" at 200yrds with not much problem. I was thinking of playing around with some heavier bullets and got to wondering what the best weight for a 20" barrel with a 1 in 14" twist would be. Any suggestions? Maybe 40's would be a better guess. Around here getting different bullets is a pain as they all have to be ordered.

Thanks
Tim

Posts: 48 | Location: Essex, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
best weight for a 20" barrel with a 1 in 14" twist would be

Usually a 55gr or lighter bullets at lower velocity. Since your rilfe handles the 45 well something inbetween?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a 52 grain Sierra Bench rest. 40 - 53 Grain is what I would figure for that slow of twist .

Good Luck banana

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For target shooting the 52 & 53s.. for varmint shooting, I'd keep it in the 50 grain and lower range..there are plenty of fine bullets available in that range...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote