Find
Notify
Tools

Taking Some Time Out To Fireform
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
I thought you gents would like to see where I do some of my shooting. This bluff is the southernmost tip of a plateau that covers several hundred square miles and is just in the middle of nowhere. This is around 150 feet above the rest of the tundra. My bullets were hitting between the far slough (rbbon of water) and the small trees just over the skyscreens. Took about a second for them to get there.

Very warm that day, around 65 degrees F. with just the slightest touch of breeze.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
375 Wby, aye? Beautiful! I miss Alaska.

------------------
Good huntin', shootin', and spear chuckin',
RAB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger.....I see the cable spool but what happened to the 55-gallon drums?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Roger,

What agreat place to be!

This reminds me of the days when we used to shoot on the beach off teh sand dunes!

Non very often, but every now and then someone would pass by on a four wheel drive.

In those days no one thought we were some sort fo idiots, as many people stopped by to have a chat with us.

I would not dare to this today. It would not be long before the police carted us to jail!

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66926 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Ron, We do have a hospital in Bethel...

DB Bill, the spool is one of two left when a power line was run from Bethel done to Napakiak. There used to be a large transformer also, why I do not know as it is simply 20 miles of line strung on inverted "V"'s. The line follows the plateau and is used as a navigational tool when straveling by snowmachine in poor visibility conditions. My brother-inlaw, who is Napakiak City manager, Had the state offer the city money to remove the city's generators. This was in '88. I told him if tey did that they would be dependent on someone else for power and it could be turned off if someone wanted too, he kept the generators and several times now over the years they have sold the power to Bethel! Not bad. No 55 gallon drums around Napakiak. Too valuable for other things.

Saeed, I hear you. Over time when population encroaches attitudes change. Now if you moved farther out into the wilderness you could get away with that, until people started moving in around you.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Roger,
Do you have the hospital administrator's email address or telephone number? I am always scouting Alaska.

The thing with most bush communities and family practitioners is that they want FP's that do OB. I do not do OB. It is hard to survive up there unless you are working for the local hospital, and they usually require OB coverage by the FP.

------------------
RAB

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Ron,
www.ykhc.org will take you to the main webpage, look at Job Opportunities. The site has several options and even has the map that shows the area of operations. Yes we have visiting docs that come up for a few months and no there was nothing in the descriptions about OB.
You come up...I'll take you out for a steam...when I get back from school.

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Roger,
I will certainly look into it. That is a most impressive facility for so remote a location. Thanks. BTW, there is some good spear hunting lore in the book _Shadows on the Kuskokwim_. Have you read it? Native American techniques for spear making and hunting of grizzly bears is described quite well there. I hear the Kuskokwim calling me.

------------------
RAB