THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difference Between 450Ackley , 450 Watts etc.
 Login/Join

<T/Jazz>
posted
Gentlemen I would like to appeal to your experience with the big bore cartridges called the 450Ackley, 450Watts and the newest version the 458-Lott.

Which one develops the most velocity and what are the advantages and disadvantages if any between the three cartridges for hunting later on in say Africa.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I believe the 450 Watt's was first, but could be wrong about that. It is formed from cylindrical basic belted brass, is a straight tapered case, and 2.85" long. The ackley version has a small shoulder (not sure the neck length), and is 2.85" long. The lott is similar to the Watt, but was designed to be formed from blown out 375 H&H cases, which shorten when necked up, so is trimmed to 2.80".

All of them will drive a 500 gr bullet 2300 fps and change, I seriously doubt there is so much as 50 fps between them all, the cases are very similar in capacity.

My personal preference is the lott, as it is a factory round, kinda sorta. I'd also add the Lott and Watts will feed, chamber and shoot 458 win mag ammo with no loss in performance. The ackley will fire win mag loads, but the case blowing out will drop velocity. You could get a Lott and have the watts chamber cut, if you just had to have the extra .050" case capacity. Now that Hornady offerst belted basic brass, they are all easily formed. A-square made ackley brass, so properly headstamped brass is available, though of dubious quality. Hornady offers factory loaded 45 lott ammo.

While I don't think the 458 lott is the ideal 45 round, it is the most practicle. It achieves 500 gr @ 2300 fps, will shoot the relatively common 458 win mag in a pinch, and is a factory loaded round. It is also small enough in dia to offer 4 round magazenes w/o too much grief or expense. Wonder when my replacement one is arriving?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul H, I think if you check out Clymers reamer you will find that they use 2.85" for their 458 Lott length in their version.

Steve

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote