Find
Notify
Tools

243 Bullet Construction Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted
I have shot Hornady SST bullets in my muzzleloader and am looking at them for my 243. My son shoots Nosler Accubonds in his 270 with great success on whitetail deer. My question is, bullet construction-wise, what is the difference between Accubonds and SSTs?

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler Accubond is a bonded bullet using the same idea as the Hornady Interbond or the Swift Scirocco. The SST is a polymer tipped Interlock design.

The bonded bullets hold together better, but are more expensive.

However, in .243, I believe the only one you have an option to is the SST as Nosler hasn't gotten around to making an Accubond in .243 caliber. I know Swift makes the Scirocco II in that caliber. I don't know if Hornady makes an Interbond in .243 or not.

FWIW, I shoot Accubonds almost exclusively in my game taking guns...I love em'.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was an extensive test of the heavier .243 bullets in a magazine 10 or 15 years ago - Handloader I think.

Of the bullets available at that time the Winchester 100 grain bullet was the best performer by a good bit.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only bonded core bullet currently available in this caliber is the Swift Scirroco II. However, Barnes makes a TSX in this caliber and Nosler makes 3 different weights of Partitions, so you have some choices if you want a stouter bullet for this caliber.

The literally answer to your question is this: The Accubond (and Interbond and Scirocco) are traditional cup and core design bullets with the lead core bonded to the cup (jacket) to aid in weight retention and bullet integrity. The SST is an Interlock with a plastic tip, which aids in aerodynamic efficiency and expansion initiation.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote