Find
Notify
Tools

.375H&H loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
I'm looking for a accurate load for my SAKO 375H&H. I am planing to use BarnesX 250gr bullets. I usually use Norma and Vithavouri powders.
I am interested in knowing how accurate the load is and the manufacture of the barrel
Can you experience people help me with this?
Or let me knew your other favorite load for 375H&H.

Posts: 87 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried like heck (meaning many powders including VV-N550) to get the 250 gr X to shoot in my Remington KS Mountain Rifle and never could (unless 3" groups meet your needs). I swapped to the 260 gr Partition and immediately got inside an inch using RE 15 powder and have since taken a couple of nice bull elk with that load. The load was mild at 2750 fps.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I had good results in my Ruger #1H w/ 270gr 'X' & RL15 or imr 4064. Usually under 1.5moa but had the occasional under 1"moa. I think VV150 is in the same burn rate. Good lucxk!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Here's a good load for my E.Kettner Mauser:
Hornady SP 270 gr, Vihtavuori N150 76,5 grs, 2740 fps, OAL 91mm, shoots MOA. This is a max load.

Boha, Finland.

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried Sierra 300gr SBT.
But the point is beeing damage during the recoil in the magasin. Does the roundnose behave simular?

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use only RL-15 in my 375's...The battered noses have no effect on anything, that has been tested and reported in nemourous gun rags...I have test them and could determine no effect....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried very hard to make the X bullets shoot in my .375 but finally gave up, 2-3" groups don't cut it for me.
With 300 grain partitions or solids I load WW760, with lighter 260-270's I use either RL19 or RT15. Either RL powder gives more than enough velocity with good accuracy. The 260 partition is a great bullet for deer or elk.
FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had no luck making 235 Barnes X shoot in my .375, but 250 Sierras would print 1" or less easily. In my experience, it's a rare gun that shoots the X bullets well. I haven't tried the XLC coated version; it could be different.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<re5513>
posted
I've tried RL-15 and IMR4064 in my Remington M700 stainless in .375 H&H and though they worked well for 250 gr. and 300 gr. loads, velocity was not what I was hoping for. IMR-4350 also works well but I settled on Varget for 250 gr. loads since loading density is fairly high for the case. Accuracy is excellent. I've used it to take a number of antelope and am still waiting for the elk to fall. (It's my wet weather rifle and lately, the seasons have been mild.).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all
re5513 can you pleas tell us the witch load that group best.

------------------

<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 375HH:
Thanks to all
re5513 can you pleas tell us the witch load that group best.

OK. I had to remember to bring in my loading journal.

I found that 75.0 gr. of Varget with Sierra 250 gr. BTSP game king bullets produced groups that averaged 1.1" for 3 shots at 100 yards (fire-formed brass). Velocity on this averaged 2855 fps. OAL was 3.687" which would allow the round to fit in the magazine of my Remington M700 BDL Stainless (laminated stock). NOTE: This is max in my rifle, don't try this load without reducing 4 gr. and working up. I also show that 73.5 gr. Varget also produced excellent accuracy.

Your mileage may vary. This information is only for modern, late model bolt action firearms in good condition. If you have a vintage era .375 H&H don't use this data.

Good Luck!
Regards,
re5513

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm convinced that the best powder for loading the 375 H&H is Hodgdon 4350. I've tried Varget, IMR 4350, IMR 4064, H414, and H4831 in adddition to H4350, and I found that H4350 gives a substantial velocity advantage over any of those others with both 270 and 300 grain bullets.

I found I can load H4350 to the max given in Hodgdon's latest data, using Winchester brass and Winchester WLR (non-magnum) primers. Accuracy is excellent, allowing me to get sub-moa 3-shot groups with 270 gr. Speer and 300 gr. Sierra boattail bullets.

IMR 4064 also gave me good accuracy, but the velocities I got with it were at least 200 f.p.s. lower than what I can get with H4350.

None of the other powders gave as good results as H4350. Varget may give OK accuracy, but it, like IMR4064, did not give me good velocity.

I have not tried RL15, which many people here seem to say is the best powder for the 375. But judging from my results, and comparing those results with what they say they get using RL15, I cannot see how it could equal, much less be better than, H4350.

H4350 must not be confused with IMR 4350. They are by no means identical powders.

My 375 H&H is a Remington 700 Limited Classic with a 24 in. barrel. I have a Leupold M8 4 power (fixed power) scope on it, in Leupold QR mounts.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
H-4350 From 75.0 grains to 79.0 grains - Remington 9-1/2 M Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
LE 270
Like you, I have a Classic in .375
Shoots 300gr. Sierra,s with WW760 real well at 2580 but kicks the snot out of me. Have you made any modifcations short of a brake?
Would like to shoot it more but would like to keep my eye balls in my head. BTW mine shoots the Speer 235gr. like a benchrest gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I added Mag-Na-Port , porting to mine and it cut the UP kick down a considerable amount.Off the bench I don't even touch the forend. It cuts the up kick down that much.
FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan in Wa:
LE 270
Like you, I have a Classic in .375
Shoots 300gr. Sierra,s with WW760 real well at 2580 but kicks the snot out of me. Have you made any modifcations short of a brake?
Would like to shoot it more but would like to keep my eye balls in my head. BTW mine shoots the Speer 235gr. like a benchrest gun.

No, I haven't made any modifications to the gun itself. But I do shoot it differently from the way I shoot a 223 or a 6mm Remington.

I always shoot from a benchrest. For the 375, I use rests that get the gun up fairly high so that I can get behind it solidly, making sure that I'm completely behind it rather than over it. I always use gloves when shooting, and make sure that I'm holding the rifle tightly with both hands and pulling the gun into my shoulder so that some of the kick is absorbed by my left hand. I also use a thick silicone-type recoil absorbing pad between the gunstock and my shoulder. Shooting in colder weather when you can wear thick clothes and jackets helps in absorbing recoil too. Using this method I can shoot it comfortably with 300 grain bullets at 2700+ f.p.s. (Yes, I do get that velocity from H4350 and 300 gr. Sierra boattails.)

I have no experience with the 235 gr. Speer bullet you mention.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 09-30-2001).]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I use 300 grain Swift A-Frames for a soft point and the new 300 grain Hornady solids in my .375 H&H. My load uses enough Reloader 15 to get 2500 fps in my rifle. I use Federal 215 primers and Winchester brass. At 100 yards three softs and three solids will shot into one hole about one inch in diameter. The Swifts are terrific on heavy game. I have not shot any game with the Hornady's, but I left 18 rounds in Tanzania with the PH I hunted buffalo with, and he will report to me on their performance in November.

I also use the 260 grain Nosler here in the U. S., and have shot several elk and deer. I use enough IMR4350 to give me 2700 fps. This load also shoots about one-inch in my rifle.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Thanks LE270
I have a Leupold 3x9 on mine. Complete it weighs 8.1 lbs. Yes you must hang on with your left hand. Only shoot the Speer 235's for practice hoping for a little recoil reduction....can't really tell that there is a difference between them and the 300 grainers. This rifle will shoot...but not very fun.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
LE270
Have you shot any game with those 300gr.BT's?
If so....what do you think.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan in Wa:
LE270
Have you shot any game with those 300gr.BT's?
If so....what do you think.

No, I haven't. So I can't offer an opinion on that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LE270,

My chronograph tells me that RL-15 gets considerably more velocity than 4350 and accuracy is the same in my gun..

I have done a good deal of research on the 375 H&H...RL-15 also meters easier and thats a plus..I do like 4350 in the 375, make no mistake about that, but I have gone to RL-15 for just about all my 375 H&H loading, including the new 350 gr. Woodleighs. Most of my loads are a couple of grains over max as my gun handles the hotter loads better accuracy wise and are not that warm anyway in my gun.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I gave up on the Barnes X bullets. Why foul up a clean bbl? As long as you can get Nosler Partitions don't waste your time like I did.

I shot a 165 gr Barnes X bullet out of my .300 win mag into my test media which is milk cartons filled with water. ALL of the petals broke off of the Barnes X bullets! The remaining weight was about 85 grs.

I would not trade plain old Rem core lokt's for X bullets.

I use IMR 4064 in the .375 H&H and IMR 4350 in the .375 Improved.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
My chronograph tells me that RL-15 gets considerably more velocity than 4350 and accuracy is the same in my gun.

Atkinson,

What is the top velocity you get from 270 and 300 gr. bullets in your 375s using RL-15? What is the barrel length of the rifle(s) you are using?

Thank you.