New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitch7mm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Going to build my dream rifle. Choices are: 7mm Dakota, 7mm Ultra Mag, or 7mm STW. I know these are all very close, just need some help deciding from a reloading standpoint. Will be on mod.70 action, Krieger barrel, for long range hunting. No I don't need it, but I'm going to build it! Need experienced reloader feedback PLEASE.

Posts: 137 | Location: ormond beach fl | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
<jd_1>
posted
The most cost effective route would be the STW but I like the idea of the Dakota. If I'm not mistaken it is beltless. I'm not a big fan of head spacing on the belt. If money is not an option, go with the dakota.

Just my personal opinion...Good Shooting...JD

<jd_1>
posted
Sorry, I missread your post I was thinking you had 7mm Weatherby in your choices.
Either the Ultra or the Dakota would be nice, leaving the stw 3rd sence brass for it and the Ultra would be close th the same price. If your a plain vinella type person go with the Ultra. If your more a Rockey road type, go with the dakota.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Consider the 7MM WSM. We carry them more than we shoot them and it's possible to have a nice handling rifle in shorter cartridges.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
None of the mentioned calibers has that much over the tried and true 7MM Remington Magnum.

Save yourself a lot of time and non-essential work, and money, and go for the "standard".

(When you are 2500 miles away from home, and you lose your plastic ammo box in 6-feet of snow, try going to the local general store and buying any of the ammo you mentioned!)

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
7mm Remington Magnum or 280 Remington.

My two cents

ZM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. just looking for something different. Divorced now & don't have to pay for make-up & finger nail polish anymore & have a little pocket money to do what I want to do. So a new rifle is my Christmas gift to myself.

Posts: 137 | Location: ormond beach fl | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, telling someone what rifle to get is like telling them whom to date. Whichever one interests you more is the right choice, for you. The 7mms mentioned are for all practical purposes identical from a ballistic point of view. +/- 200 fps is not going to be noticed by shooter, game or paper.
Strictly from a reloading standpoint, the 7STW is easier to get factory ammo and brass for (at least here).
The existence of a belt is a non-issue in my book. Once fired in your rifle there is no reason to full length resize. Just neck size your cases and the cartridge is head spacing on the shoulder not the belt. This helps case life. Getting a belted rifle to feed smoothly is a bit harder than a non-belted case and the extra diameter can reduce how many you can get in the gun. It all depends on what you want and how you are going to use it.
The only 7mm in my safe is an almost stock Winchester 7 STW. It shoots well and is what I wanted but I could have been equally well equipped with any you mentioned.
Get the one you like best and don't look back. Besides it's a good excuse to get another gun later.

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger #1 rechambered to 7mm Dakota & it is a great performer w/ 160-175gr bullets. I think the 7mm UM is a bit overbore & you can probably get sim. vel. from the Dakota w/ a bit less powder & noise. If you want something different, the Dakota would be my choice. Brass is readily available, buy 200 & they will probably out last the barrel. I have loaded a test batch (8) times w/ little stretch & primer pockest tight. With 160gr NP & RL22 & get 3250fps from the 26"bbl. I have run them up to 3300fps, but accuracy falls off. I like my hunting rigs to shoot under 1MOA & the Dakota can do this easily. Good luck on your new project!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the 7mm ultra mag and two 7mmstw's.The stw's are only about 50 to 75 fps slower and burn a lot less powder in the process.My own choice therefore is the 7mm stw.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fritz454: Thanks for the advice, great idea for another rifle. BTW sorry I spelled "which" wrong. Must have had a brain fart. Or maybe I was so excited about my project I forgot how to spell.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with fritz454 on all accounts. Exept I have the "plain" 7RM and prefer it myself. The calibers you mention offer only subtle differences. Personally I would shy away from a rebated rim, even though I realize the entire "ultra magnum" range are based on this concept. And even though I would love to have a 404 rimless I don�t think I personally would go for a smaller caliber based on this case. Takes up magazine space and the extra case capacity probably makes the smaller bores pretty temperamental to load for, I�d worry about sudden pressure spikes etc. These are just thoughts, as I said I agree with fritz454, treat yourself with what you really want, overcoming minor challenges that each of these cartridges may offer you is what the fun is all about right? It won�t compensate 100% for the divorce though, trust me on this one...

Tron

Posts: 210 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can understand wanting something different, but everyone I know with a STW wishes they had a 7mm Rem Mag.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Budweiser>
posted
thmpr
Ever heard of the Lazzeroni Rifles. Rifle Shooter Magazine Sept/Oct issue called their 7 MMag the most powerfull 7 Mag.It might be worth checking out.All I know is they are pricey,but unique.

Straight Shooting
Budweiser

one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I suggest a 7mm Rem Mag.

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote