New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best brass for 458 win mag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up a Mod 70 458 win mag. It will be the largest caliber that I have loaded for and was wondering what brand of brass you guys would suggest. I don't mind paying top dollar for some nice looking stuff with good legible headstamp. I read a review on Winchester brass and the guy complained that the headstamps were faint. Cabela's has Norma and Midway has A-Square.

I also have lots of IMR 4895,4350,and 4064 and want to load 500 gr. bullets. Any suggestions on anything that I should know about loading this caliber would be appreciated.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want to take a look at Hornady's 458 win. mag. brass, that is what I have been using with good results. Also, been using Hornady's 500 grain DGX and DGS bullets, although not on DG just yet. If you have any interest in the monometal bullets, start looking at the 450 grain bullets, as they work given case capacity of the win. mag.

I have also been using AA 2230 powder. If you use the search function, start with the Big Bore Forum, you should find a good bit of information on this powder and the 458 win. mag. It gives good velocity (2150 to 2200 fps) ,at resonable pressure, with 500 grain bullets. You can take a look at the Accurate Arms web site for data.

A Lee Factory Crimp die would also be something you may wish to look at purchasing.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
If someone is bitching about faint headstamps, perhaps there is nothing significant wrong with the brass then?

Winchester or Hornady brass. Don't ever buy a2 brass. Norma is spendy, for no reason

Bullets? Get 200 rem 405 gr fp and some faster powders. Rel7 or h335. Do NOT use slow powders

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote