New
Find
Notify
Tools

bullet shape
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is going to sound odd, but being as bullet drawings are pretty rare, I've got to ask:

30 caliber bullets, say Sierra Match Kings, they come in 150, 168, 180, 200, and 220 grain flavors, probably a couple more weights that I missed.

Question I've got is, is the shape of the bullet forward of the shank (ogive) the same for all weights of a particular brand and model?

For instance, if I load .020 off the lands in a single shot 300win, will a 150grain SMK have the same C.O.L. as a 220grain SMK?

Just one of those questions I always remember when I'm furthest away from the 'puter.

thanks,
irwin

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is not a scientific answer, but doing a quick comparison of the 3 .30 150gr bullets I have on hand, all by Speer, I would have to say no. I mic'ed at what point the bullets hit maximium width, when seated at specified depths. There were some slight differences.

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second Dave's input. My observations mostly on Nosler Partitions and Ballistic Tips. They look alike in profile to the eye, and perhaps the intent is for the profile to be the same, but there are slight differences. Mostly it shows up in seating length, or ogive position relative to the meplate.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
The cannelure location can differ from lot to lot of the same bullet, and it's been noted in several places with bulk bullets that it may differ significantly within a batch as sold.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I`m going to GEUSS and say that a 220 will have a longer ogive than a 150 so to hold .020 off the OAL would be longer for the 220.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote