New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 win
 Login/Join

<Elliot Viker>
posted
I just picked up a 358 winchester built on a mex mauser action. Anyone have some good loads to start out with? I think I want to use the 225gr weight bullet for this gun, as a have several makes on hand in this weight. Thanks for the info.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MY favorite load would be 49 gr of AA 2520 and a 225 gr bullet.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine with a custom Sako in .358 is also working with AA2520 and the 225 Sierra.

He's trying RL7 also, but I think that one is a bit fast burning. I'm trying to get him to work with RL15 just to see what happens. I've never seen any RL15 load data for the .358, but I have a suspicion it might work real well.

The new Barnes #3 manual shows surprisingly high velocities with both IMR4895 and W748 with their 225 & 250 grain uncoated X bullets.

posted Hide Post
In my Browning BLR (20"), 48 grains of IMR-4895 gave .5" groups and 2,400 fps with 225 grain Nosler Partitions.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
DONT USE AA2520!

I have 3 .358 Winchesters. I got blown primers and expanded bases with AA2520. The load data is/was wrong!!!!!!!!!!

Use IMR3030 or 4895 with the 225gr bullet.

<Don Martin29>
posted
Correct the IMR powder to IMR3031. I can't find a edit feature here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
49 grs of 4320 goes 2450 fps with the 225 gr Partition in my pre-64 M70 Featherweight and keeps 3 in an inch. The same with the 225 gr Sierra as well.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
IMR-4895 From 45.5 grains to 49.5 grains - Winchester WLR Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Slamhound>
posted
Re7 would probably be the best powder for the real light [and even pistol bullet] loads in this cartridge but if you're pushing a 225 grain bullet i think somewhere from 47 to as much as 50 or possibly 51 grains of 748 would give you the best results [around here it's a relatively expensive powder but for some cartridges (the medium capacity for a a given caliber cases) it really performs very well or even best. a lot of people don't like to use it simply because in 'max' loads it can often need to be compressed a bit- which admitted is always a hassle but often times the best accuracy is not with an absolute max load and then there goes the bulk (no pun intended) of your 'compressed load' problem].

<Bill>
posted
Nickudu,

Saw your write up about the 358 in the new barnes manual. Nice job!

You guys from seaford love short action 35 caliber cartridges don't you.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill. I suppose I'll have to buy a copy now. I just hope the darn velocities are printed right!
"JL" recently picked up a 3rd .350 Rem. Mag. Classic, N.I.B. We both think they'd make ideal bush rifles for Africa but can't seem to fit them into the two rifle scenario. Damn Buffalo!

<Bill>
posted
Nick,

If you would like I can scan a copy of your article and attach it to an email for you so you could see it.

Nice waterbuck you got there as well.

Reguards,

Bill

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

posted Hide Post
Please Do!! & Thanks.

<Elliot Viker>
posted
Thanks for the info guys. I have started some load work with 200gr hornady round nose and a load of BL-C(2) Not a max load, but I like to sight in and form brass to chamber before I start the real intense work. Well, with 48.0gr of this powder and a 2-7 scope, I have shot 10 three shot groups and have an average of 1.37 inch @ 100 yards. Not bad for a first load and a light gun. I just love the 35's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using IMR-4198 and a 225 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip out of my 14" pistol. I can't remember the exact charge off the top of my head but it is a starting load or just above out of Sierra's manual. The load is more accurate than I am and I can put three shots in 1 to 1 1/2" groups. I kept the charge weight low because it is a handful when it goes off. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<pakrattusnongratus>
posted
Lone Eagle.....Send me a personal, if possible, concerning your experience with the pistol. I know a fellow who is hungry for info. .358 is a good American medium bore.

------------------
Member NRA, Life NMLRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill:
Nick,

Nice waterbuck you got there as well.

Bill:

Enough with the Waterbuck already. Three African hunts and I'm still waiting for one. Keep it up and I will start mentioning Impala.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
KuduKing,

I think your PH is walking you around them so he can get you to come back again year after year.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

<Don Martin29>
posted
Elliot V.,

I shot a small buck with that 200 gr Hornady RN. It must have been only 50' away and it did not see me. It ran over 100 yds before it fell. That's the furthest by far of the dozens I have killed with my 3 .358 Winchesters. So I filled one of the bullets in half like I have done with others. You know you take a small block of wood and carve the shape of the side of a bullet in it. Then you drive a finishing nail where the base will lie. Then put the wood in a vise, lay the bullet on the groove and file towards the nail.

The 200 gr .358 Hornady RN with that huge lead nose had a tiny closed in nose under that lead. It was all jacket up there. No wonder.

For a real bomb on deer size game use the Speer 180 gr FN. That's the one. I use IMR 4198.

<agroman>
posted
riccardelli ..... have any data for my new 25/06 ?......

<agroman>
posted
riccardelli ..... have any data for my new 25/06 ?...... bo@ream me a ton.

------------------