THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do so many pronounce Hornady "horn-a-day"?
 Login/Join

<slancey>
posted
Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but the name of the bullet manufacturer is Hornady, pronounced "horn-a-dee".
Yet, I hear so many saying and even spelling it Hornaday.
Isn't that the name of a NASCAR Truck driver? I don't hear anyone say Siarra, or Noslar.
Any ideas?
Pardon my cynicism.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a guy in my hunting camp that calls it Hornabee. Irritates the crap out of me. I guess if he said Hornaday I would be just as irritated.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's "hor-na-dee," for sure.

It's also "loo-pold," not "lee-uh-pold." Wink

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Now what we are going to start complaining becasue people don't say Sako right either.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My sales guy at the gun store says ".416 Rugby". Roll Eyes

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere the correct pronunciation of sako was ''Socko'' ,whats the correct pronunciation of Mannlicher ? and Schonauer ?

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by velodog:
I read somewhere the correct pronunciation of sako was ''Socko'' ,whats the correct pronunciation of Mannlicher ? and Schonauer ?

the german way is munlicker und schurnauer

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I say Hornaday everybody knows what I'm talking about. Now when I say Chevro-let all the Nascar guys say "WHAT"
I bet you say Leupold wrong. I don't need no stinking grammer lessons. sleep

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sabot

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 903 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stinger,

It's not you who's the "thead killer," after all. Big Grin

Jaywalker

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slancey:
Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but the name of the bullet manufacturer is Hornady, pronounced "horn-a-dee".
Isn't that the name of a NASCAR Truck driver? I don't hear anyone say Siarra, or Noslar.
Any ideas?
Pardon my cynicism.

Believe it or not, there is a world outside of Illinois. You say tomah-toe, I say tomate-o.

Some even call a flashlight a torch.

Can you believe it?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
quote:
Originally posted by slancey:
Any ideas?
Pardon my cynicism.

Believe it or not, there is a world outside of Illinois. You say tomah-toe, I say tomate-o.

Some even call a flashlight a torch.

Can you believe it?

Hey Tiggertate, get it right now, it's MATER. Big Grin

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's another good one:
Hodgdon

I get guys in who call it Hodgkins.

I believe it should be 'Hawdgehdun'

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who pronounces Cabela's "Cabrela's" and Unertl "Yernelli". Drives me nuts.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
People mispronounce words because they either don't take the time to read the word, are insufficiently educated to sound out a word they have never seen before or are just rednecks, who get most things wrong anyway. I fall into the latter class. Having been a trucker for 13+ years, I've heard every mangling of the English language possible. Mostly, it's just dumbfucks who can't read or can't read very well who destroy the mother tongue. The spelling of these people is enough to make a student of the language (such as me) want to hurl his cookies.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rootbeer, Just so, and that's all probably why no yank can pronounce al-u-min-ium (two I's)
Everyone gets Brno wrong, Most Aussies get Mauser wrong and I refuse to pronounce mackay as mack-eye.
A truckie mate of mine calles a diff. a deaf, and I won't mention thems that say carbean for carbine. Hignerant blighters.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rootbeer

There is so many ways to pronounce words, depending on where you are and the dialect.

Also Yes the school system is not as it was once, Here locally they spend one week in 11th grade on the Bill of Rights. Then they wonder why the younger people do not vote.

I have heard many ways to pronounce my last name as well as spelling it, so after all these years. I do not get to hot under the collar any more but just say this is the way our family pronounces and spells our name. Then I have to live outside a city that has a local Indian name,(Native American).

Jim Wisner (Wise-ner)
Custom Metalsmith
outside of Chehalis, (Che-hal-is), Wasington

Posts: 1453 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out here in Oregon (ORY-Gun) we have a feller who is always talking about Kerbellers (Cabela's).

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hairtrigger:
Sabot

HOW ABOUT MINIE?

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a guy at work that says wuff for wolf.
This one really drives me nuts.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen one fellow on t.v advertising fishing lures which he calls ''lurrrrs'' another guy i know ,calls plagues .''plarrrgs '' no matter how many times we tried to tell him ''play Gs'' he always says ''plarrrgs ''he he !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still dont know if Schonauer is pronounced ''Skun nower ''or skun noor'' ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
jump
This is a very funny thread its things we hear all the time and get a chuckle out of. One of my favorites is 30- Yard 6. And living in Hawaii I get to hear all kines of pronunciations of the Hawaiian names that just crack me up.

Aloha!!!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about Leo-pold vs. Lewpold?

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How 'bout 'warsh' for wash?

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about ornjuice or orange juice.

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
How about 7-em-em-ought 8 Roll Eyes

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
catboat,

I have to admit, I do get a kick out of "caa-tridges for paa-triges."

Jaywalker

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
H&K is Heckler and "Coke", NOT Heckler and "Kotch". Makes me nuts.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plain ignorance, is all it is. Some folks can't read, or comprehend, nor enunciate their language much less spell correctly.

What's that stuff in corrosive primers? Why it's fa-lume-in-ate of mercury. Sorry no, it's full-min-ate.

Sab-ott. Again no. It's french like that 50's\60's eye candy Brigette Bar-doe. Say-bow. Although the emphasis can be on either syllable. So aren't ya glad ya know better now? Nope. Everyone I know says, sab-ott. That other way sounds too pansy-ass. The guys'll make fun of me!

Sometimes you're better off not even putting forth the effort cause ya can't teach old dawgs new words.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by velodog:

the german way is munlicker und schurnauer

Actually, it's pronounced "Mahn-liker" and "Shown-hour".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hukt on foniks workz 4 mee.

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Guy I used to shoot with pronounces Nisika bay, Nikko bay, moron. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerMan if you want o hear some different words pronounced diferent, come to south Louisiana.
I mean when broux is bro the Hornady is Horenedx

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
Rootbeer, Just so, and that's all probably why no yank can pronounce al-u-min-ium (two I's)
...<snip>...
John L.

Well, actually here it's usually spelled aluminum.

al·u·min·i·um noun. Chiefly British. variant of aluminum.
Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

a·lu·mi·num noun. Symbol Al
Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

http://dictionary.reference.com/

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I work in a gun shop and the way some of my co-workers say things drives me nuts, let alone customers. (slack is given to customers, but I love razzing the guys I work with about it.)
Some people refuse to get it right it seems.

Walther - NOT Walter

Hodgdon - NOT Hodgman (This guy orders all of our waders though, so I think the two names cross without him realizing it)

Swarovski- all too often heard as savorski. So much in fact that sometimes I think I'M wrong.

7-M-M rem mag. - ahhhhhhh

Hornadee/Hornaday - Hell, I've said this one both ways.(my inlaws say 'day. When in Rome...)

Showed a guy a Sako (Sayko), the other day and he corrected me as Sock-o. I told him I know the correct way, but no one ever knows what I'm talking about when I say it properly!

Benelli- often heard as bernelli

Cabelas- Carbellis, Carbellas, Kerbellas. (It's a dirty word any way you look at it.)

Sig Sawyer- Huh?

Thats just my little list off the top of my head. I'm really not this anal. I promise!

Gib

Wink Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Why do so many pronounce Hornady "horn-a-day"?"

Because it rhymes with "away"! "They don't walk away from a Horna-DAY!" Or so says a friend of mine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try telling someone you hale from Neodesha! Emphisis should be on 1st and last sylibles.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GibR:Showed a guy a Sako (Sayko), the other day and he corrected me as Sock-o. I told him I know the correct way, but no one ever knows what I'm talking about when I say it properly! Wink Wink

You ARE wrong. The Finns pronounce it Sock-o, which means everything else is wrong. Capiche?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ole_270:
Try telling someone you hale from Neodesha! Emphisis should be on 1st and last sylibles.

It might help your case if you could use spell correctly.

"Hale" is someone's last name. "Hail" when used in conjuction with a location means "where I am from".

Also, it is "emphasis", not "emphisis".