New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help - Need 45-70 Load Advice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am loading .45-70 for a new Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. I will be loading 300gr., 350gr. and 405gr. jacketed bullets to start. Cast bullets later. I am trying to locate loads that will be stout (near max) in this gun for big game hunting. Most of the load data I can find is all over the map (Yes I understand there are 3 different levels depending on gun). For example 1 bullet mfg. lists 36 gr. of IMR 4198 as max for a 300 gr. bullet in the Marlin, while another lists 49gr. of IMR 4198 as max in the Marlin. Quite a spread for the same gun, bullet weight and powder.

I would appreciate any REAL WORLD load info that you could provide for these 3 bullet weights in the 1895 Guide Gun. I have IMR-4198 and RE#7 powder on hand so would like to use those, but would buy additional powder if necessary.

Any load data I receive will be considered safe in your gun, but not mine, and will be worked up from below watching for pressure signs in my gun.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Shark Bait (edited 03-19-2002).]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<45/70 marlin>
posted
For the 300 grain bullets try 50 to 54 grains of Reloader #7 powder.For the 405 grain bullets try 46 to 49 grains of Reloader 7 powder.Reloader 7 is my favorite powder for the 45/70.I personally use 52 grains of powder for the 300 grain loads and 47.5 grains for the 405 grain loads for the best accuracy.The Lyman #47 manual has a lot of good data for the 45/70.Also I recommend the individual loadbooks that are for one caliber only that sell for around $8 and are avaiable from Midway and Cabela's.Other good places for data are www.loadyourown.com and www.loadswap.com

<Yspen>
posted
Go to www.realguns.com .

Ben

<hunting1>
posted
Buy the Hodgens manual. They have alot of load data in 3-groups. I personally load 350g HFP, win brass, CCI200, and 60gC Varget in my SS. Good shooting!