THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Anybody have any suggestion for Hog's Superformance in the 338-06

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody have any suggestion for Hog's Superformance in the 338-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Especially with a 225 cup and core style bullet

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sorry can't help you with a load. My 340PDK has more capacity but if I had to choose 2 powders they would be IMR 4895 and Rl15. Haven't tried it but I would think RL17 would be a great choice as well. I bought a mess of GrandSlams and Hornady Blems for hogs and plinking.

I do a lot of hunting with the 200gr AB. Elk and smaller.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What weight bullet you using? I didn't see anything on this post. I use 4064, as beats 4350 or 4895 in the 338/06. I can get a legitimate 2500 from the 250s in mine (chronographed). If you look on Hodgdon's reloading site, there's a number of loads listed there for IMR, H, and Win. powders. The hodgdon site doesn't list 4064. But the Alliant site might have some good loads too, using the ReLoder powders. I'd think R19 would be good in the 338/06, maybe 17. The others too slow.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What weight bullet you using? I didn't see anything on this post.

quote:

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta try RL17. It works for me using both 210gr and 225gr bullets

Posts: 146 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 16 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
guys I appreciate the suggestions but see Rule #1...LoL

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I have A.D.D.

Posts: 146 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 16 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sorry I guess I simply don't understand the question. coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
question is on Hodgdon's superperformance powder in 338-06 with 225gr cup and core (assume .338) bullets.

i think - Smiler

therefore the responses related to "rule #1" - however, i think most of us failed the decrypt of title blend to subject ..

hodgdon's doesn't have any listed loaded, from what I can see -- nor do i see any on ammiguide, for same ...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39577 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
i think -

After 20 rereads "I think" you might be right.

The first 19 times I read it. I read looking for "superperformance" on HOGs using a cup and core bullet.

Not until everyone got called on the carpet did I make the jump from Hog's to Hodgdon's. Don't ever remember that abbreviation. coffee But an English major I'm not. Engineers didn't need to know how to spell. rotflmo

Time for more coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
For the non-English majors...LoL

Hints to the intent...

a) "Hog's" is capitalized and has a possessive at the end

b) Superperformance is capitalized

a) implies an entity followed by b) which designates a proper noun/name and b) is one word

I could understand the confusion if I had written:

"hogs super performance in the 338-06"

reminds me of the joke about Panda's and bars and the phrase "eats shoots and leaves" vs. "eats, shoots, and leaves"

but I digress...and I shall re-phrase

Does anybody have information on load data for Hodgdon's Superperformance powder in the 338-06 cartridge with 225 grain cup and core bullets?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
NO! LOL!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ohhhh. Why didn't you say that in the first place? Nope. Lol
This is entertaining.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

I have data with Superformance and 225 gr bullets in the 338-06 Ackley Improved.

PM me, if you want it. Glad to share.

AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to steal your thunder Mike, but I would like to hear if anyone has used it, (Superformance Pwd.), in the 338 Win Mag. Using 210 or 225 grain TSX or TTSX. This forum can be really funny at times.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Serious questions deserve serious answers *( Giggles and snickers ) Big Grin

OK lets get started !

1. Is the .338-06 an A-Square, Ackley, or some other ?

2. Which Superformance powder do you desire ?

Superformance ?
Superformance International ?
Superformance Match ?
Superformance Varmint ?

3. Which bullet do you desire ?

SST ?
GMX ?
BTHP ?
Interbond ?

Next:

What rifle do you have ?

What is your performance criteria?

Big Game ?
Bench Rest?
Long Range ?
Varmint ? Roll Eyes

Just a couple of little tips.

Hodgdon and Hornady are, as you surely know, in cahoots.

It takes some creativity to develop loads that you ask for, especially for wildcat cartridges.

Are you sure you want to go with Superformance ? Lots of other data available not so exotic and new and untried in wildcats!

But hey - brave Guys make the world go "round".

I just love the Guys that have the balls to push the envelope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels:
Not to steal your thunder Mike, but I would like to hear if anyone has used it, (Superformance Pwd.), in the 338 Win Mag. Using 210 or 225 grain TSX or TTSX. This forum can be really funny at times.

Dwheels:

I have a .338 Winchester Magnum that I reload for . But I haven't used Superformance - yet. Sorry.

None the less here's Hornadys commercially loaded ammo.
http://www.hornady.com/store/3...rBond-Superformance/

TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED ?????

That should send up some red flags.

I have plenty of free time on my hands so maybe/surely I will sniff around and give them a call.

I sort of have the feeling that the Boys may want to proceed with all due caution until there is more definitive information about this new powder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Just got off the phone with Hodgdon and Hornady.

Superformance is NOT a big winner. In fact Hodgdon doesn't actually push it.

On the burn rate chart they rank it close to IMR 4350 which is MY power of choice for many of my calibers !

The tech support tecchi, in fact, was surprising candid. He actually said you are better served by some other powder.

That's essentially the death spell on superperformance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Superformance in several cartridges and found it to run in the R19/I4831 range. This being the case I have not tried it in the 338-06.

Works very well in 300 SAUM and 6mm Rem.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

You got me to give Superformane a try in the 338-06. I started with Rem brass, WLR primers and Sierra 225 bullets.
I loaded one round at each 55,56,57,58,59,60,61,62,63, and 64gr.

55gr. 2333 fps
64gr. 2600 fps

64 gr.filled the case to the base of the neck where the bullets were seated, no compression. All cases showed NO pressure signs and extracted with no problems.

The last 7 rounds went into 1.25" at 100 yards. This was with out working hard for precision. Scope is a Bushnell 4200 1.5x6 with firefly reticle and rifle is a Savage 110 with an E.R. Shaw barrel

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,
This was on 24hr campfire.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...nce_in_338-06#UNREAD

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote