Find
Notify
Tools

cast bullet lubs?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
I tried my cast bullets without lub and am not happy. then I bought a couple of RCBS bullet lubs, but there is no notice with lubs telling how to use them .shall i melt the lubs before using on bullets or just rub the bullets agains the lub bars? TIA
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either way is fine. Since you don't have a luber/sizer machine, I will give you the easiest way to do lots of them fast. Melt the lube and pour it into a metal baking dish. Maybe the 9" x 11" size, to a depth a little less than the highest lube groove. Now, stand your bullets in the molten lube, base down. The lube level will rise a bit when you put your bullets in. You may need to do this on the stove or a hotplate. Depends on how fast you work. Put the whole works in the freezer. When very cold, give the pan a twist and pop your bullet lube and bullet "ice cube" out of the pan as a unit. Push your bullets out by pressing on the noses. You will end up with neatly lubed bullets and a piece of lube tht looks like Swiss cheese. Use your lube block again by putting it back in the pan and insert new bullets. Warm it from the bottom on the stove or hot plate. You will nottice that the bullets conduct heat and melt the lube there first. No need to liquify the whole block. Chill it again and repeat the process. You can do LOTS of bullets this way, very quickly.

Option two, get some Lee tumble lube.

Either way cast bullets must be lubed. You probably need to clean you rifle thoroughly. Try steel wool around a brush. I bet it is lead plated inside.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny. If your barrel is as leaded up as I think it is, steel wool is not the best way to go. Get a soapless scouring pad, one used for cleaning pots. I've seen them in brass, copper, and stainless steel. You don't want the stainless steel type. Pull off some of the strands of the copper or brass variety and wrap them around the brush you use to clean your rifle. A little trial and error will show you how much to use.
If you're using an Alox/beeswax lube, heat the stuff gently as it doesn't like being made too hot. If it starts to smoke, it's too hot. I would imagine that applies to the other types of lubes as well.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Get a soapless scouring pad, one used for cleaning pots. I've seen them in brass, copper, and stainless steel. You don't want the stainless steel type"

The silver (stainless) ones that look like coarse steel wool work great. Amway sells them as "scrub buds". You can find the equivelent in the supermarket. They will not scratch blueing if they are clean and oily. They grab rust and lead and pull it off. They are better than steel wool. I suggested steel wool because it works well and is easy to find. The guy was from Europe, I am not sure wha thtey have over there. The brass colored ones seem like a good idea, I have not tried them though. I do know, form first hand experience, the silver ones work great and won't damage anything.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
To get leading out and keep it out, I use the "Soft Gas Checks" sheet wax under my cast bullets. Half a dozen target-level loads with this stuff nicely removes the lead from a fouled barrel. Constant use simply means not only no leading usually, but also much tighter groups. Of course, like the instructions say, the bullets must be lubed in the usual way as well. Dunno why everyone doesn't use this stuff....