New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the CO/AX NLA?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I placed a order for the CO/AX from Sinclair in Febuary, and they told me it was expected in around the first of March, so, I called a week after the first after not seeing it and they told me Mid March. So mid March came and went and I called them after not seeing it and they told me April 1. Today I had to place a order and I asked on the status of it and now they are telling me Mid April.

I checked Graf&Sons and I see online that the press is on backorder there too...

Any of you guys know what is up with Forster? Or is there any other supplyer that has them in stock?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little history on me...

I am new to reloading, the bug bit me, and I am absolutly hooked now.

Right now, I am borrowing a really old Texan press, and it has been returned, I thought I was the owner of it, but I assumed wrongFrowner

Now, I am press-less..... My wife is a nurse, I just wish she was a Dr so she could prescribe me anti-depression drugs.

I NEED A PRESS!!!!!!

If money was no option I would own two press's, a SS and A Dillon, but, money is a option...........

Right now I am reloading .223, and .45 ACP. In the future I am thinking I will be reloading 30/06 and 30/30.

I am more concerned with accuracy than volume, my main shooter is my .223, then after that is the .45. I might load about 50 rounds a year of 30/06 when I get the dies, and am wanting a 30/30 some day.

The

Over a month ago I was dead set on the Forster, but now with this waiting period I am second guessing myself...

I was dead set on the Forster, but seeing this press is on backorder everywere I am second guessing myself. All my other equiptment is Redding stuff so that brings me to a Redding Press. That is why I am questioning the T-7.

I like the Forster's quick changing of dies, but with the T-7 I can have my .223 and .45 dies all set on one turret and go to town, and maybe in the future I can get a second turret for 30/06 and 30/30.

+$10, should I go with the T-7, or should I wait out the Co-Ax? Or is there another turret that I should look at? Layman, RCBS???? The Lee was recomended to me from a member here, but I have been doing research and it seems like the Lee Clasic Turret is hit or miss.

So My options are........

Wait out the Forster
Redding T-7
RCBS Turret
Layman Turret.

(I would prefer sticking with a product Sinclair carrys)

Thanks alot guys

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who swears by the Redding Turret press. And if it has to be a turret, then the Redding! I have a Lyman turret press, and I don't think I would buy another one (e.g. way too sloppy in the moving parts), although I'm sure good ammo can be loaded on such a press.

If it was me, I'd sweat out the waiting period for the CoAx. It is truely the "Mercedes" of reloading presses (as long as you don't want to load overly long cases). You'll enjoy the total lack of slop in the moving parts, and the truely luxurious feeling of operating the press - at least I do.

I personally prefer the CoAx over the turret presses also for the following reason: I like to set my FL sizing dies for "PFL" sizing - i.e. pushing back the shoulder the minimal amount (.001-.002") for smooth chambering and longest case life. This, in turn, requires unrestricted access to the set screw of the die lock ring when you set up your dies. This is a breeze on the CoAx, but can be a pain in the posterior on a turret press, unless you are willing to dismount the dies around the die you are trying to adjust. And that, to me, defies the purpose of the turret.

The turret has the advantage of allowing you to keep dies set up, but changing dies on the CoAx is so easy there is no real advantage to the turret time wise.

For me, the choice would be easy, grit your teeth and wait for the CoAx, you won't be disappointed with a lifetime of luxurious press operation.

If you decide to go with the CoAx, consider adding the optional short handle to the press. Not only is it more pleasant to use due to its ball handle, it makes the press feel a lot nimbler than the standard handle. But hang onto your long handle, should you feel the need for some heavy sizing in the future. (Ever since I got my short handle, that is all I have used, regardless of what sizing I needed done).

- mike

P.S. If you are going bonkers waiting for a press (any press!!), consider getting a cheap Lee to tie you over until the CoAx is deliverable. One can always use a second press - e.g. for de-priming or the like. So a second press is an excellent addition to a reloading setup.

Midsouth shows the Lee "Reloader" press in stock for less than 30$

http://www.midsouthshooterssup...m.asp?sku=0000690045

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Could I suggest that you spend your money on a moderately priced LEE Classic press. the money you save can help buy more components! I have been very happy with my Lee Press

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wait for the coax - you won't be sorry

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two reasons products are hard to get: production problems and popularity.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Lee was recomended to me from a member here, but I have been doing research and it seems like the Lee Clasic Turret is hit or miss.

So My options are........

Biggenius,

Sorry to hear about your press woes. I must be the one who recommended the Lee Classic Turret and I know of the hits, but an curious about the misses. What are they? (You can reply by PM if you don't want to clutter this thread.)

The Lee Deluxe Turret has a number of points about which it can be criticized (in both its 3-hole and 4-hole configurations), but the Lee Classic Turret is about as perfect a turret press as one can find if you don't need more than 4 dies at a time.

Good Luck.

Lost Sheep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dillon 550? Forever warranty, made in the US, lifetime warranty, interchangeable tool heads, lifetime warranty... Am I missing something?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:

+1! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
The turret has the advantage of allowing you to keep dies set up, but changing dies on the CoAx is so easy there is no real advantage to the turret time wise.

Mike,

Correct on all points except for one.

If you operate the Turret press in a "straight-through" process (as opposed to a batch process), you reduce the number of times you insert/remove the cartridge case in the press to once per cartridge.

Put an empty case in the press.
size and decap.
on the downstroke, reprime.
Rotate the turret head
bell the case mouth
rotate the turret head
drop powder
rotate the turret head
place bullet on case mouth
seat the bullet
rotate the turret head
crimp the bullet
remove the finished cartridge.

If your press rotates the head by itself, it is even faster and more convenient.

Respectfully,

Lost Sheep
Bell and

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 lee 1000's for my pistol loading. I can easy load 500 rounds a hr on them.

A old 7 hole turet of some make its a big heavey press works very well. a lyman 6 hole turnet a lyman single stage, a couple of other odd ones.

It comes down to how fast one wants to load. For paractice pistol ammo I want to load fairly fast. For others I can load a bit slower.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume you are referring to the Bonanza CO/AX press which is indeed a fine one. Have one and very good quality, but for me the Dillon 550 is the one I use the most and reload almost exclusively loads for high power matches/long range. Absolute best warranty in the business and over a 20 year span, one small spring on primer carrier let go and made a call in the middle of the night and got an answer and in two days had the part, no cost. Personally I prefer their die sets over other as well. Yes, big Dillon fan here.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you ask these guys?

http://www.forsterproducts.com/

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My opinion after 38 years of reloading and owning RCBS,Redding,Dillon, and Lee
The only one I dont have any more is the Lee
Take that as you may.
A few weeks of waiting will be worth it.

Posts: 66 | Location: Huntsville, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I havn't been reloading for a long time and started out with the Lee single stage press. It does fine but the Forster is in a class all it's own, it's worth the wait.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lee Classic 4 head turret and l love it. I can change from one cartrige to another in 10sec. I don't run mine as a progrssive and I don't seat primers with it. Its all steel except for the part that holds the dies. I uses a little Lee C press that I bought on sale about 10yrs ago when they were $17 (now $38) that I put a depriming die in and only uses for depriming. PS: I was on Lee's site yesterday and they were selling the Classic Turet as blems for $57.-----Just checked, to late, all gone.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you might try gunstop.com they just may have a coax on hand

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the CO/AX NLA?

I give up; what's an "NLA"?

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Co-Ax is worth the wait.I have used many different brands, there are many good ones. The Co-Ax is the best in my opinion.

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is really little snob value in owning an ultimate press any more than owning an ultimate ball peen hammer.

A pretty good one will get the job done.

None of the rounds you load take much of a press.
A big press will just have a lot more handle swing than necessary for dinky rounds like the .45 ACP and the .223.

An old RCBS Jr will work great for these and the other rounds you listed.
Down the road if you want to add some big expensive honking press you can. You will probably still prefer the smaller press for most jobs.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
quote:
Is the CO/AX NLA?

I give up; what's an "NLA"?

I think he means, No Longer Available...

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabelas has them on the shelf. Order one from their web site and have it shipped to you.

Co-ax is worth the trouble.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're trying to avoid appearing snobbish, by all means get a Lee Loader, and whack it with an old, duct-tape-handled ball peen hammer (not an ultimate, fiberglass-handled, rubber gripped one!) I'm sure it will work just fine. By comparison, even an old, out of production RCBS Jr has entirely too much snob value.

The Forster Co-Ax is not a big press; it is not appropriate for cartridges longer than standard magnum length.

Forster offers a short, ball-tipped handle, or you can just grip the top of the yoke for less handle swing, since there is ample leverage. Even when gripping the tip of the standard handle, the swing stays within closer range of the operator's shoulder than on conventional presses.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Short ball handle should come as standard. Plenty of leverage there.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Forster Co-Ax is not a big press; it is not appropriate for cartridges longer than standard magnum length.

i guess that means i shouldn't have loaded my 375's and 470's on it -

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snob appeal don't mean squat to me. I like the Co-Ax because bullets are very, very concentric. I need all the help I can get! I am not knocking any brand, I have owned several and used many others. When you measure run out of the bullet the BS stops, you deal with the facts.

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty hard to beat a Bonanza/Forster
press for someone who loads a lot of different calibers. They produce concentric ammo, and the dies will pop in/out without having to readjust them.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
crashcarruthers: If you are so worried about run out then why are you not useing Wilson sizers and seaters. You would then have to put up with their ultra snob appeal. Next step down would be this one. http://www.sinclairintl.com/.a...8_14_Benchrest_Press But if anyone is looking for the SUPER ULTRA snob appeal in this is it. http://www.starreloaders.com/history/history.html

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thumbs up. Best press I have ever owned.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
There is really little snob value in owning an ultimate press any more than owning an ultimate ball peen hammer.

A pretty good one will get the job done.

None of the rounds you load take much of a press.

A big press will just have a lot more handle swing than necessary for dinky rounds like the .45 ACP and the .223.

An old RCBS Jr will work great for these and the other rounds you listed.
Down the road if you want to add some big expensive honking press you can. You will probably still prefer the smaller press for most jobs.

Snob appeal aside, the Forster has other unique benefits.

Mounting above the bench.
Changing dies (as convenient as a bushing-equipped press, but not requiring the $10 bushings)
Superior Leverage (thanks, BigJakeJ1s for mentioning the available short handle)
You may be right about the alleged superior die alignment being being wasted on the .45 ACP and .223 as used in most applications.
Universal shell holder
Spent primer handling.

Respectfully,

Lost Sheep

By the way, I recommended both the Lee Classic Turret and the Forster to the OP in his original thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I give up; what's an "NLA"? I think he means, No Longer Available...

I thought it might. But I HATE trying to decipher a question and then find the dude has a totally different meaning than what I guessed.

But, assumeing you're right, I SII, at LFS at this point in time (AKA; now), unless they can find some NOS on a shelf. ?? killpc

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I've always been an Redding, and RCBS guy when it comes to reloading products, but a friend has a CO-AX press and the more I worked with it helping him get started reloading the more I like it, and the next time I see a used one for sale I'll be the new owner of it.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually bought the ball-tipped short handle for mine, and tried it; I didn't like it. With the ball on the end, I tended to always use that one hand position, and it got uncomfortable after a long session. With the original tubular grip handle, there are a multitude of hand positions, from the top of the yoke, to the tip of the handle.

I never use the full length of the original handle, but start out on the top of the yoke, sliding out a little on the handle (to the beginning of the grip) during the stroke as more leverage is needed, then slide back to the yoke on the up-stroke of the handle.

But lots of people seem to like it, so choice is a good thing. I might cut my tubular grip handle off a little since I never use the full length of it anyway.

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not sure about 470, but 375 (H&H?) is standard magnum length. Longer can be done, but it gets a little tight in there, setting the bullet on top of the case prior to seating. There are other presses with longer ram travel that would make it easier. But then they don't have the other advantages of the Co-Ax either.

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJakeJ1s:
quote:
quote:

Not sure about 470, but 375 (H&H?) is standard magnum length. Longer can be done, but it gets a little tight in there, setting the bullet on top of the case prior to seating. There are other presses with longer ram travel that would make it easier. But then they don't have the other advantages of the Co-Ax either.

Andy

This is why I use the Co-Ax for my 375 H&H and 450 NE. Hate pinching my fingers or working in cramped spaces when trying to seat bullets. For the biggies I use a RCBS Ammomaster. The Ammomaster is also a great press for rounds that are difficult to resize like the 357 Ruger.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Retail is $408.00 Are you kidding me?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$239.99 at Cabela's right now. I got mine a couple of years ago for $199.99. If anyone pays $408.00 (or retail for any reloading equip) they have there head up there ....well you get it...simple google search.. Cool Cool I have a Redding turret and a Redding ultramag and had a lee cast. Lee long down the road and the Reddings are set up and used for special things. the turret has all of my crimp dies in it and the ultra I use for decapping, Case forming and such. The Forster gets used 98% of the time.

Posts: 146 | Location: WI | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
can't remember whether mine was $46 or $64. did i mention i've had one for awhile

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I currently have two Star progressive reloaders, 1 Ponsness-Warren,and 3 Dillons. In single stage machines, I still have two Lymans, 1 Co-Ax, 3 RCBS, and probably some others if I check my storage rooms.

For the last 40 years one machine has done just fine for 95% of my loading...an RCBS A-3 single-stage. My other 5% of loading has been done using Wilson dies and a Knox or Jones arbor press. The others pretty much always are completely at idle.

They all work fine. Just use whatever feels right to your hand, your convenience, and your budget.

Just like there is no best cartridge for everyones' uses, there is no best loading press for everyone either.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am missing something here but I load 338 Lapua Mags topped with 300 gr Sierra HPBT and don't have a problem.
Yes, I imagine that if you are loading 50 BMG you are in trouble but not a heck of a lot out there longer than 338 LM.

I have a 30+ y.o. RCBS RockChucker and a couple of progressives on my bench but when I want top notch rifle ammo it is the Co-Ax that gets used.

Gary