New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes #4 Manual???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going to reload some of the TSX Bullets from Barnes.
On some sites I see the #4 Manual is not so good. What about the #3?

Thanks for any help.

Mauser

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with #3 is that it doesn't include the TSX or the TTSX bullets.

What is supposedly wrong with #4?

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion,

I have both the #3 and #4 Barnes. I now load out of the #4 when shooting TSX or VG's.
Don't believe everything you read, especially from an anonymous internet poster. I take everything with grain of salt, but In my 20 years or so loading from respective manufacturers/powder company re-load manuals, I've yet to have a problem if I followed their recommendations. I don't load Barnes out of a Sierra Manual. I don't load Sierra out of a Nosler manual. Start low and work up. If you need more velocity, buy a hotter cartridge. I for one do not load hotter than book "max".
For example 2800 fps out of a 257 Bob with a 100 grainer is acceptable. 3600fps with same bullet out of 257 Wby mag, 26" barrell is no problem either, However, a Bob is not a Weatherby mag. You can probably load the mag down to the Bob, but not visa versa.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On some sites I see the #4 Manual is not so good.

What's not so good? It's really the only comprehensive source of TSX and TTSX load data anywhere.

quote:
What about the #3?

Why would you want to use an out-dated manual that doesn't include load data for the currently produced bullets?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing I've heard is they don't list some of the not so popular calibers and a short list of powders.

Mauser

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Barnes #3 for tipped Barnes bullets. I just start low & work up, observing normal safe pracrices and, when shooting, lookimg for the usual pressure signs. Of course, when the unsafe pressures appear, you should back off. However, I have never run into preesure problems. But, then, I do not exceed max loads. At this point I do not see a need for me to buy #4 Manual.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When speaking with a Barnes tech last year he said they have discontinued the use of Win 748 with their 300grn bullet and the .375 H&H. Said that it was "too Hot".

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mauser K98:
The only thing I've heard is they don't list some of the not so popular calibers and a short list of powders.

Mauser

Any reloading manual is there only to get you "in the ballpark" and give you an idea of min/max loads and what velocities you might expect. Don't expect them to list every powder available- that's why they all include a Relative Burn Rate chart and why you should always have a minimum of 3 different manuals to compare.
Assuming that you have a fair amount of reloading experience under your belt, if you are loading an obscure caliber, try finding another manual that lists that cartridge and reduce the powder charge from the minimum by 10-15% and work up carefully. If you can't find data on your cartridge, you MAY be able to find another cartridge in the same caliber with a similar powder capacity and have an idea on where to start load development but be very careful and don't push it! If you have a firearm in an obscure caliber, you probably don't want to blow it or you up. old

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's certainly true. And I don't know what to suggest there. As was noted in another recent thread, You can do some extrapolation if you are careful. But the Barnes bullets are unique so you've got less information to start with.

quote:
When speaking with a Barnes tech last year he said they have discontinued the use of Win 748 with their 300grn bullet and the .375 H&H. Said that it was "too Hot".

I shot some max loads of that combination and had no pressure signs at all. It was the most accurate 300 grain TSX load I tried in my gun. Went back to 270s because they were more accurate than the 300s.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote