Find
Notify
Tools

Benchmark powder
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted
I've got about 5 pounds of this ( Benchmark ) powder that I use in my 6BR with great results. I'd like to try it in my 30-40 Krag and 357 Mag, for some reduced loads. I checked the Hodgdon web site but they don't list any loads in these calibers, does amybody know of any? At least a good starting point.
Thanks

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My immediate thought is that Benchmark is too fast for one and too slow for the other. Hodgdon usually publishes data for all of their powders appropriate for a cartridge. So if they don't have data for that powder in a given cartridge, it probably isn't suited to it.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
Probably so. I'll have to keep it for my 6BR coffee

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
benchmark is a really good, flexible powder.. too big-for-results in a 357.. likely just fine in a 30-40 -- slightly faster than 3031, slower than h335...

never tried riflepowder in pistols carts..

*I* user h335 from 222 - 550 magnum

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just because Hodgdon does not publish a certain powder for a particular cartridge does NOT automatically mean only those powders listed are suitable. A cartridge with limited appeal like the .30-40 Krag is seldom even tested by manual makers. Hodgdon doesn't list any of the old Olin powders - does that mean propellants like W748 are not suitable for the .30-40 Krag? Of course it doesn't. Certainly there are many powders not suitable, but not because they are missing in data manuals.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very suitable for 30-40, not so for 357 Mag.

For data go to the ADI (the manufacturer) website. They have data for their powders for 30-40 but that does not include Benchmark (BM2 as it is known downunder) However a very close approximation can be extrapolated from the burning rates of related powders, the charts are on this site as well. Just use normal working up protocols.