Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady LnL AP issues
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted
Hey guys, a few years ago I bought my hornady auto progressive press. Recently I've noticed it's developed some slop in a couple spots, and I'm not happy about it! I noticed a couple weeks ago that the ram feels a little sloppy in the main body of the press. Also the pins that connect the pull handle to the ram feel loose! Now if I grease it up good it takes most the slop out, but not for long. And while loading some 308 the other day, I saw my seating die moving even though it was tight. The female bushing that locks the die in place to the press seems to be loose! Which in turn is causing the seating depth to vary. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble?

Posts: 100 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I'd just call hornady

this might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLXVQX5ADK0

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
I'm probably going to call them, but I don't wanna be without my press. Because I'm sure it will take 2/3 months to get it back if I have to send it in!? I shoot almost every weekend, it helps keep me sane! Hahaha

Posts: 100 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you had 2 of them it wouldn't be a problem.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
they will likely trouble shoot with you on the phone

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a Dillon and sell the Hornady. I sent my Dillon in for a tuneup, it was gone about 10 days, no charge.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No issues with my Hornady at all; call them. Dillon? Just say no; poor design that only sells due to massive ad campaign.

Posts: 17290 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a serious issue w/ my LNL press, I called, discussed and they sent a new one and told me to send the old one back in the box the new on came in, prepaid. I did. The replacement arrived in less than a week, , I returned the original, and a week later, it came back repaired ( new ram and an obvious bushing in the press bore). With a note telling me no charge, and to keep both. The original is as good as the old- it runs 30/06 & 308, while the new one is my 223 press.

Dillon is good too, I hear.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
I called hornady up, didn't do much good though. The guy I talked to didn't want to hear what I was trying to tell him. He basically treated me like an idiot,and is shipping me some shims that go between the female bushing in the press and the male bushing on the die to tighten things up. The problem with that is, that's not where the slop is. The female bushing in the press is moving and causing runout of the projectile! I've tried removing the bushing to replace it but have had no luck.

One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
He also told me the other issues are normal? Idk?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Call them back and ask to speak to someone else

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded thousands and thousands rounds of ammo on my LNL and it is just as tight as when I got it new. I had to grease it once when it started binding once, but other than a lube job nothing.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Call them back and ask to speak to someone else

yep

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
first and foremost, I am likely one of the few that has blue, green, and red on my bench.. in other words, actual experience with the majors, rather than defending my purchase. I don't have a lee, though.

quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
Buy a Dillon... I sent my Dillon in for a tuneup, it was gone about 10 days, no charge.

sofa
let me restate that...
"mine was so badly screwed up that i had to pay for shipping back to dillon to fix a whatever problem"

just like the leupold flame "for the life of the scope" warranty - of which i've HAD to use to often I now buy nikon...

stuff happens, we are adults, most of use can deal with that.

of course, some people try to 'sell' dillion ... except the LnL is a 650 XL product equal, not a 550

476AR,