Find
Notify
Tools

first time handloader onboard
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

Do any members live in Maine or nearby who handload? I live in Brunswick and would like to learn to handload as my dad and I have a 375 H&H project ongoing. We own a Rockchucker kit we bought and would like to be shown the process so we learn it right the first time.

Thanks!

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, welcome aboard Accurate Reloading forum and welcome to handloading. I am only a couple thousand miles from you neighbor, so if you take a notion to stop by that would be just great! I learned to reload by stepping out and buying the RCBS kit and reading the data manual through the process sections and reading on the internet until it made sense to me before starting the actual ammo loading, but when I started I took to it like a fly after do-do. There is a wealth of experience here and on some other internet boards, so don't be bashful ask even if it seems like a silly question. It is better to ask than have a bad experience.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While its always good to learn from somebody that really knows what they are doing its also a good way to pick up bad habits.
For every safe and careful reloader I know there is about 2 that are hacks that it surprises me that they haven't blown themselves up yet.
Get several manuals, a video or two and ask questions on here and you will do fine.
The biggest thing to learn about reloading is to pay attention to EVERYTHING because its all important. Its not rocket science but it is a science but one that you can learn with a little study.
Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2 to what remshooter said. Read ur books first then ask us to 'splain what you don't understand. Right now, IMO, Lymans 48th edition is one of the better ones.
Also, you might want to take a look on Ebay. Even if a book was a past edition, the reloading section would still be the same and the book would probably be quite a bit cheaper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The husband of my wife's co-worker wants to get into reloading. My wife suggested I let him watch me sometime. I told her that first it's easier for him to read a manual and learn than it is for me to to explain it to him. And second I don't feel comfortable with her let alone someone else being in my den when I'm reloading. Was I wrong?

til later

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Welcome to reloading--a whole new challenging world of enjoyment and benefit for shooting and hunting.

I'll have to second what others have said on reading reloading manuals first. You need to know the why and not just the how-to. Smiler

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm on the opposite coast but try this:

http://www.reload-nrma.com/metallic.html

At the bottom of thepage there is a "virtual reloading" button also that will take you to their videos.

http://www.reload-nrma.com/videos.html

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hate being the 12 th person to tell you this but, pick up a couple of reloading manuals and begin reading. dont bypass any procedures and you will become successfull

Posts: 161 | Location: houma louisiana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When I started reloading for my .308 Win ## years ago (at age 16), I was on my own to learn. I got a setup, a couple of manuals, and ran my first lower end round through the press and got that tingle of "making" a cartridge. Then I went into the lower pasture, set up a target, and shot my first reloaded round. The anticipation was so great that I missed the target because I expected the little Remington Model 600 to blow up or something. It's been smooth sailing ever since. Just take it slow and carefull and you'll be fine. The manuals are a lot more detailed than they were 40+ years ago.

Good Luck, be carefull, and have fun. Dave

Posts: 3 | Location: Salkum, WA | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your reloading kit has a copy of Speer's reloading manual included with it. It has the rudimentary reloading process explained in it. Another good book is Lyman's Reloading Handbook, 48th. Ed.. The ABC's of Reloading is a more expanded explanation. I received a renewal notice today from Wolfe Publishing, and it announced a DVD made by John Barsness that explains the reloading process in some detail. It is described as advanced, but I would think of it as a complete description for building hunting ammunition. Besides being an accomplished writer (and now editor), John has a lifetime of hunting and reloading experience to share, and I would expect his instruction to be very competent. www.riflemagazine.com

These are all resources available to you, including any personal instruction you find. What you want is to attain an understanding of the different parameters to be controlled in the loading process. The physical activities will be simple enough when you have gained these insights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EP:
The husband of my wife's co-worker wants to get into reloading. My wife suggested I let him watch me sometime. I told her that first it's easier for him to read a manual and learn than it is for me to to explain it to him. And second I don't feel comfortable with her let alone someone else being in my den when I'm reloading. Was I wrong?

til later

Not wrong. It is, after all, your den. Your equipment, your time, etc. It would be wrong for either spouse to offer the expertise of the other. How would your wife feel if you offered her to be a co-worker's wife's cooking tutor?

But what is right and wrong?

You could be accused of being selfish. But if you know you are not a good teacher, (for whatever reason, lack of time, lack of patience, etc) to atttempt something that would be a disservice to your protege would be wrong, and possibly dangerous.

As a sometime teacher myself, I disagree with your opinion that it is easier to learn from a book. I know that most people benefit by having a live tutor in addition to the book(s) alone. Safety, camradarie etc benefit from having an observer in the room. A coach can correct bad habits and prevent accidents like no book can. Books alone for many people are just not adequate for learning. But the teacher MUST be willing to devote the time. You cannot force it. And teachers have to masters of two arts. The skill being taught and the art of teaching, both. If you haven't got both, in addition to a cordial relationship between the two of you, your student is better off with another coach.

On the other hand, when you meet him, you might like the guy and feel comfortable having him over. (You guys could exclude the womenfolk on the grounds that loading requires concentration and one student at a time is all you can have.)

When you are married, one does make sacrifices for the benefit of your loved one(s). Maybe the dynamics of your wife's relationship with her co-worker is such that mentoring the husband would be good for your wife, and by exension, good for your marriage.

Or perhaps your wife is using this as an opportunity to find you a male friend that she thinks you need.

I feel like "Dear Abby"

Ultimately it is your Den and your time being offered. It is your call. And your marriage.

Mentoring is sometimes costly in time and effort, but very often rewarding to the max. If nothing else, it contributes to the total content of good in the world. And the shooting sports needs all the ambassadors and good will it can get. If, at this time in your life you have the resources to make a positive contribution to the world, I recommend it. If you don't, make peace with your wife by communicating with her (two way communication!).

Have I contradicted myself enough?

Good luck, and don't pinch your fingers in the press.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
EP, maybe you could, without interruption, write out your sequence, and then when the fellow comes over, go over that with him and then make up some dummy rounds with him watching.
I certainly know where you're coming from because I've been reloading for a long time and I still like for it to be a solo thing. When I was teaching my kids to reload (after they had read the books) I would tell them what I was going to do and then they would watch (questions after I was done, thank you very much) but I never tried to instruct and reload at the same time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I APPRECIATE the input guys. I've been giving this some thought and am going to try a different approach. I trained guys for 15+yrs in power line r/w maintanence. Climbing trees,removing trees+limbs from live wires,running chainsaws on and off the ground,equip maintanence,etc. At times it was hard on the nerves but we never lost anyone! What I would do is have them watch us work(no books to read on this subject!),no questions,just watch and when they were ready to try something we'd give it a go. Sometimes they'd decide they weren't cut out for it and would transfer. The ones that stayed would get use to being around our kind of work and most caught on.
I think what I'll do is have my wife(of 37 yrs,so the communication thing has long been worked out)get one of my reloading manuals to this guy and have him read it to get an idea of what I do. Then I'll pick one of the easier cartridges that I reload for to work with him on. May have to work out a few wrinkles but we'll see. Kinda liking the dummy cartridge idea. Anyway we'll see where this goes. Again THANKS for the input!

til later

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
I don't think EP is wrong at all. I really don't want to share my handloading time. I am however willing to share what ever advise is asked. The first thing for the novice, as stated many times here, is to read as much about loading as a person can lay their hands on. The true value of owning load manuals is the ability to access them at our liesure.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EP start with a round that involves cheap brass to learn on. If you scrap a .375 case it is about $.50 down the drain.
Try starting with a .30/30 or .308.
There are some standard recipes for the .308 that you can just load to get used to going through the motions.
Reloading is little like your occupation. It is not kind to the careless and sloppy worker. Develop safe habits in the beginning.
Double check everything.....
Misreading a scale is kind of like a kick back on a chain saw. Once is all it takes.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
EP start with a round that involves cheap brass to learn on. If you scrap a .375 case it is about $.50 down the drain.

hijack jsl3170 will be loading for a .375. coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably do the .25-06 as I have ALOT of components for it. Been thinking(again!)I just got 100 9.3x62mm brass from Grafs. I could give him the pleasure of deburring flash holes and uniforming the primer pockets!

til later