New
Find
Notify
Tools

R-P 300 H&H brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got some R-P 300 H&H cases from Midway, and found that they are VERY soft. Case life is two loadings, and sometimes they split above the belt after only one firing. I do not have excessive headspace, I checked that first thing.

I found that if I fire form them with 17 gr of 700 X and a cotton ball, that they will last 3 or 4 times.

Using old RP and WW cases I get 5 to 10 loadings.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have experienced the very same thing in my .300 H&H and .375H&H with Remington brass.. Two, maybe three loadings and thats it..

I have heard this happening to others I know that have shot Remington belted cases as well.

Remington brass in standard cases like .308, 30-06, .270 etc are Ok, but it seems, like you say, R-P belted mag brass is a bit soft.

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have recently purchased and loaded but not yet shot some Remington 375 H&H brass, and my immediate reaction to it is that it is junk. Seems much different than some older, once-fired factory stuff I acquired a while back. We'll see, but I am not too confident.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Terry

I got maybe six reloads out of WW brass for my .300 H&H. I think the round is one of those that taught people about brass "growth" leading to splitting at the back end. R-P brass in another caliber (.375 H&H --> .375 Wthby) had dramatic splits above the belt area after half the number of reloads as WW, A-Square, NORMA and BELL brass yielded. I won't use it!

BNagel

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This brass is bad news.You will need to REBARREL sooner with this brass.I suggest to try the Nosler custom brass.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well just came back from looking at Midway's .300 H&H brass page.. Havent been over there in some time.. Quite saddened about Win dropping production of .300 H&H.
I Noticed and got quite excited about Midway offering NORMA brass! I used to use a lot of NORMA brass and it was outstanding.. If it is still the quality of old, I wont mind at all shellin out the bucks for a hundred.

I have heard good things about Nosler brass so I guess until NORMA appears, I'll try some.

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Glad to know this-- unfortunately I recently stocked up on 300 and 375 H + H brass and got several hundred cases in each chambering in each caliber. killpc Looks like I should keep looking for more.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
This brass is bad news.You will need to REBARREL sooner with this brass.I suggest to try the Nosler custom brass.

A little-known fact. (??) I wonder how the use of Remington brass affects the barrel life of a rifle??????

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please, do not drink the water. That the cows gesheissen.

I did quite a bit of brass life testing with an older lot of Rem. 300HH brass and it was about the same as WW. The Rem. brass was thicker at the expansion web but they failed there anyway about the same as others.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I could not get a decent group with some rifles using rem brass,even after changing bullets and powder.Once I would change the cases they would shoot amazingly accurate.By the time I got to the cases the hot magnum rds had eaten part of the throat and the rifle would not group at 200yds.So Rem brass SCREWED BY BARRELS.I can't stand a rifle with a worn out throat.This is the reason I reload,that is to achieve the best performance from my rifles.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never had any problems with Rem brass in my 300 H&H, but I have not ordered any in years as I bought several thousand cases one time when I decided they were going to quit making the stuff and then they started making it again! They did the same to me on the 5MM but didn't ever make anymore of that!

moon to you Remington!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41950 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I could not get a decent group with some rifles using rem brass,even after changing bullets and powder.Once I would change the cases they would shoot amazingly accurate.By the time I got to the cases the hot magnum rds had eaten part of the throat and the rifle would not group at 200yds.So Rem brass SCREWED BY BARRELS.I can't stand a rifle with a worn out throat.This is the reason I reload,that is to achieve the best performance from my rifles.

You seem to have a hell of a problem with barrel life! Once you asserted that a 7mm Rem. mag. was only good for 70 shots (or was it 700?? Either way it is B.S.) And now a certain make of brass is screwing up your barrels. Perhaps you need to acquire a high-powere slingshot and buy a sack of 000 buckshot........ Firearms technology seems to be a bit over your head!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I AM FIREARMS TECHNOLOGY!

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO!!!! rotflmo jumping

Posts: 5706 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
ROTFLMAO!!!! rotflmo jumping

animal popcorn

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is gettin good... lol

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Why hasnt this shootaway troll been banned? And why do folks keep responding to his nonsense?
bewildered

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
Why hasnt this shootaway troll been banned?
bewildered

Nah, why do that? Ol' Shotaway is among the most hilarious shows on the internet.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen: shitaway is a certified scientific experiment involving humans and single-celled Zygots for brains. His mental faculties are about as sharp as a bag of hammers. Just enjoy his rantings and take comfort in the fact we probably are witness the world's DUMBEST human. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, he DOES seem to be off his meds again.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote