Find
Notify
Tools

H4895 vs IMR4895 ?
 Login/Join

<V-MAX>
posted
Hi, greetings from Scotland,

I am currently testing some H4895 in my .22/250.

I see that IMR also make a 4895 powder, are these 2 powders the same or do they share the same ballistic properties ?

Is there any advantage over one or the other.

I ask this as IMR powders are hard to get in my part of the world.

Also has anyone had good results with H4895 in the .22/250 ?

Thanks for any replies in advance,

Cheers,

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hi V-MAX,

IMR and H 4895 are not the same, but, they do share ballistic properties. If you're using one and want to try the other, reduce the load by 5%, say, and work back up, same as you would when trying a new lot of any powder. You'll find max loads with one will be about the same as the other.

34 or 35 grains of either with 55 grain bullets shoots great in any 22-250 I've ever seen.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 4895's IMR and H are the one powder that have the same numbers that can be used at the same grain usage...they equal for all practical purposes. No other pairs do this..

Now theoretically lot to lot can change on any powder, but I have not noticed this to be a fact. Apparantly some claim to have seen a change in lots to a degree of concern with certain powders.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When we were loading for Garand-48gr IMR- We had to go up 1 gr to get equal velocity with H4895. You can get that much variation in lots.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
<hotdog>
posted
There is said to be less temprature and humidity variances with Hodgdon powders as there are with IMR powders. Luck hotdog.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To any of you guys who have both IMR and Hodgdon "4895" on the shelf, I have a couple of questions. I've only used the Hodgdon version over the years. It always gave good results, was stable and accurate, so I had no need to change.

The question is, is the IMR-4895 as "short grained" as the H4895?

Have you tried any of the surplus "Pulled-down 4895" and is it also short grained? I see some very reasonable prices on it at our Gun Shows.

Thanks.

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried any of the surplus "Pulled-down 4895" and is it also short grained? I see some very reasonable prices on it at our Gun Shows.

Yep!! Shoots fine. Don't know short or long. Just know it is cheap. For Garand loading it works fine. Do work up your own loads. Do not just pick a "4895" load out of a book and go to it.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
V-Max: At one time, H4895 was manufactured in Scotland!

Hodgdon has used a number of suppliers over the years to manufacture powders to their specifications (or has adopted a manufacturer's powder as their own and then "spec-ed" it to match what was available). Anyway, the specs for H4895 have always matched the original military version, and therfore IMR 4895, very closely. I liked the Scottish H- version a bit better than IMR, but haven't used the current H- version which is probably Austrailian. At any rate, most any 4895 you come across will be within a percent or so of any other. So use the one which is most available/cheapest.

By the way, I've never found a powder I liked better in .22-250. 35.5 grains under a 55 grain bullet has been a good and reasonable load in my guns, but start lower to make sure about your gun.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the pull down IMR4895 from the 60's and I have the new IMR4895 in the purple can.
I can detect no difference.
38 gr behind 85 gr 243 and the result is idenical to the brass and primer.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<TomJ>
posted
My experience concurs with Dr. Duc & Clark. I haven't been able to detect a difference between cannister IMR & surplus 4895, but my sample size is small. Comparing my loads and velocities to other's H loads, IMR seems like it is slower. In .223 with 75gr bullets, people seem to be getting 100fps higher velocity with 2.5gr less powder when using H. Alas, my IMR loads are compressed, so there is no way for IMR to match those velocities.

<heavy varmint>
posted
I can see no difference in the size of the grannules but there is a distinct color difference, IMR is black and the H is silverish gold. Must be the "EXTREME" coating.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, I didn't start this thread, but I certainly appreciate your responses to my questions burried inside it.

Next C&E Gun Show in the Charlotte area is in early April, so hopefully I can get 8# of the Surplus "4895" then. I know one guy who sells 8# of WW-748 for $89 including the tax, so I guess I'll have a truck full of Powder.

Thanks again for the information.

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote