THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Round Nose Bullets advantages & disadvatages ??
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Round Nose Bullets advantages & disadvatages ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion RN bullets are more accurate, they are closer to the rifling and have a longer bearing surface.
That's why the big bores have a reputation for being accurate.
They are not long range bullets.
My 340 shoots best with 275 gr Speer semi RN that are no longer made.

Regards Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the BC quoted by Hornady on there website for there .375 300 gr RN correct ?? They list it as .25 but there 270 gr Round Nose is listed as being .253 giving it a slighlty higher BC tna the heavier offering. I thought that the 300 gr RN should have the higher bc. Anyone care to comment ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Is the BC quoted by Hornady on there website for there .375 300 gr RN correct ?? They list it as .25 but there 270 gr Round Nose is listed as being .253 giving it a slighlty higher BC tna the heavier offering. I thought that the 300 gr RN should have the higher bc. Anyone care to comment ??

Looks like the 300 gr. RNSP has less ogive, more exposed lead. 270 gr. RNSP looks like it has more taper, and less exposed lead. That would be my read on it.

270 gr.
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/163988

300 gr.
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/762977

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .300 WBY. like Hornady 180gr RN the best. I use it for pig and bear hunting ane east TN ranges are usually measured in feet so I was not conserned with downrange performance. Under 100 yards, nothing....I mean nothing has even taken a step when hit. BUT they do alot of meat damage from WBY velocities.
Rick [Big Grin]

Posts: 44 | Location: East TN | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frazer:
quote:
Originally posted by 1894:
Well with my 154gr Hornady RN I have a bullet that kills 20lb muntjac instantly without hardly expanding, knocks over deer at point blank range without coming apart, is the most stable bullet on twigs I've ever come across and bloody accurate.

What cartridge do you load it in, and what velocity?

John

7x57 42,5gr VVN150 for 2630fps.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todbartell,

thanks for that I also e-mailed Hornady just to check with them. I f I get a reply back I will post it here for anyones interest.

I have settled on the Hornady 300 gr round nose .375 bullet for pigs over the 270 gr sp. Ranges will be not over 200 yards with the majority no more than a 100 yards. I feel with the more lead showing on these .375 300 gr RN Hornady's they should be devestating on pigs. I will be now using round noses in my .375, 30/06 & .416 Rigby for pigs this June.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote