New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Well made" Winchester brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, I have just received 100 unprimed Winchester cases; please, take a look to these flash holes and to the pompous Winchester promise Roll Eyes . As you can see, there are 3 different diameters: regular, small oval and large oval Mad, ratio is about 1/3 of each. Did you have a similar problem? What is your opinion and what would you do? Thanks.
[IMG][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=407175&c=500&z=1"] [/url] [url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=407176&c=500&z=1"] [/url][/IMG]

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you are a competetive bench rest shooter, you might be concerned. if you are a hunter, i wouldn't give it a second thought. jmo.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
you sure you didnt order a bag of mixed lollies?
the one on the 3rd row 2nd in looks like you could climb in.
at least they look shiney???
i would be interested as to the case lenth if it is the same, also if they are round or oliptical/ out of square. i was lenth sizing a batch of winchester in .308 and found about 1/3 of them would spin as if out of balance the head was not square to the case. didnot see this on any of the other brass as i re sized them an i rechecked the ones out of square and they were the same so not the tool. with oval flash holes maby thats why there out of square.
i would send them back if we keep complaining about this stuff maby they will pick up there act
all the best greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Fresh off another site.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?C...5&an=0&page=0#862145

The replier (Mule Deer)is John Barness from Handloader and Rifle Magizines.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBGuy:
If you are a competetive bench rest shooter, you might be concerned. if you are a hunter, i wouldn't give it a second thought. jmo.

Well said and right on the mark.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does boil down to: It doesn't take a custom rifle capable of .25" accuracy, a $1000 scope, and ammo crafted by elves under a hollow log to kill a deer or elk or bear or moose.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only things I do to new brass are inspect, run the necks over a Lyman "M" die to insure they are round, trim to the "trim to" length and uniform the flash holes.
The only reason I inspect is I once bought 500 .358 Winchester cases and 6 of them were .356 Winchester cases headstamped .358 Win. pissers Go figure.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My last New Winchester Brass in 44mag looked ok and Had 100 rounds prepped, primered and ready to load then when I went to load had 3 new cases that the primers fell out of primer pocket, tried to put another primer in those 3 and it did it again, primer pockets on those 3 cases were to big, wondered what could happen if I would have shot with primer that loose?

For most part though, don't have many problems with the winchester, seems to be easiest to get a hold of locally.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
i have seen the same in Remington brass.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have to admit you seem to have gotten a rather poor batch of brass.

Those with the enlarged primer flash holes I would discard and figure I just got screwed.

Those with off center flash holes will be of no problem. I did a test once of .223 Remington brass that had off center flash holes and they shot better than the ones with nicely centered flash holes, go figure!!

Just for interest, I have loaded a bunch of new Winchester cases this week for the 270 WSM and the 300 WSM and have found no such problems. I have loaded 50 of the 270WSM and 150 of the 300 WSM this week and all the new Winchester cases were of first class quality. (Just trued the necks up a little, chamfered the mouths and loaded them up.)

You can find problems with any brand of cases. I once bought a bag of Winchester 338 Win Mag cases that had a 7mm Rem Mag case in it. Not only was it the wrong caliber, it had NO flash hole at all! The primer pocket was there, but no flash hole.

I once opened a new batch of 100 Remington 7mm BR cases that had four cases in it that would not hold a primer. Put a primer in and it would just fall back out. Bummer!

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I would use all of them and quit worrying about it.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
....Ok, I keep the cases; I will try to sort them by flash hole dimension.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote