New
Find
Notify
Tools

445 SUPER MAG
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the parent brass for this cartridge? Can it be made from that cartridge or must I purchase factory brass? Thanks�BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The Super Mag has the same case dimensions as the .44 Magnum, except that it is 3/8" longer...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Scott H>
posted
When the .445 was a wildcat, I believe they (Clemmens and Carver?) used .30-40 Krag brass to make the cases. I have a hunch the factory brass would be the path of least resistance.

[This message has been edited by Scott H (edited 12-24-2001).]

<Paul Dustin>
posted
Scoot you are right The 30-40 Krag is the parent for the 445

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
My Cartridges of the World says the parent case is the .444 Marlin...jim

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HunterJim,

I read that in COTW as well, but I don't believe it's correct. I have several brand new 445 Super Mag cases sitting on my desk as I type this -- along with a 44 mag and a 444 Marlin. The 44 mag and 445 Super Mag both measure .453" just ahead of the rim, while the 444 Marlin measures .465".

The Super Mag series was designed by Elgin Gates, and according to an article he wrote for an earlier edition of COTW:

quote:
. . . the 445 Super Mag which was the basic 44 Magnum stretched out to the same 1.610-inch length . . . I used 30-40 Krag rifle brass for the prototypes . . .

I couldn't find a reamer print for the 445, but according to Clymer, a 44 Mag chamber is .460" just ahead of the rim.

So, to answer the original question, you could use 30-40 Krag brass, and 444 Marlin brass might work if the chamber is a little on the sloppy side. In either case, I think there's a good possibility that the resulting cases would be too thick at the mouth and require neck turning or inside reaming.

I'll stick with the Starline brass in mine. It's good quality stuff, and the hundred cases I've got will probably be a lifetime supply.

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote